Audi A1 Sportback hatchback owner reviews

"The Audi A1 Sportback has two extra doors, making it much more practical than the three-door A1 if you often carry passengers"

• Engine (2 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Engine, Other (2 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)

1.4 TFSI COD

Great looking car, horrible sounding. Very noticeable injector clatter especially in 2 cylinder mode, apparently a "characteristic" of the engine!

My first Audi and a company car. Build quality good. MPG is way off quoted figures cant get any better than 52 round town. Service interval is a bit strange not even had oil changed yet still says 600 miles to go, that will make 17k miles before oil change ! Would never leave it that long if it was my own car. Difficult to get into first gear sometimes ? Doesn't seem to be very quick of the mark and feels underpowered to me. Overall not bad but expensive to buy and to get decent spec you need to add loads more cash !

1.6D

2011

Nice looking Misano red with white stripes. Comfortable seats and good kick. However, that's all !! Since I bought this, the average 50 mpg is a distant dream; on a drive across Europe the maximum you will see is 55 mph after driving 300 miles and since the purchase there is an off and on message on the gauge 'Particulate filter problem' and the filter lights up. Initially, the Audi Head office in UK sent a letter saying that there was a problem with the particulate filter and owners should get in touch with Service. However, the Maidstone service has downplayed this and advised to run the car at low gear and this should resolve. It does, for a few hundred miles- and then you are back to a nice exhaust flashing above your speed reading. Having done 37000 miles and just another 10 months before the 3 year warranty runs out - I find this very stressful while driving. Audi will change the filter for a few thousand but why buy a car that cheats on mileage and within the first 500 miles starts flashing a stupid alarm about a faulty filter for the next 30,000 miles. Engine - too noisy- more than a usual diesel would be expected to. Will be selling this in the next few months and Audi - Never again!!.

1.4TFsi COD auto sport

Charismatic small car; feels like a downsized A3. Beautifully simple but elegant interior that exudes quality especially with the red dashboard lighting at night. Super economy from the cylinder on demand technology in the engine with an overall average of around 55 but it has gone up to over 60 with a light right foot - not bad for a 1.4 litre turbocharged engine!. The Sportronic DSG gearbox is just so smooth. It's happy around town with the computer registering around 45 mpg but put your foot down when you get on to the open road and this little car comes alive with a 0-60 time of just over 8 seconds which feels faster in a small car. I'm pleased I went for sport trim since the suspension is more forgiving than the S-line. Superb road holding and perfect for the country roads of North Norfolk. Superb service from my dealers who collect the car from an address 24 miles away and always valet the car even if it only went in for an MOT and send an e-mail video of the underside check within hours. Only gripe is that a cam belt change is required every five years irrespective of mileage and that is an expensive job but quality brands cost more to service. Looks like this little beauty will be a 'keeper' since the road tax is only £20 and the insurance is reasonable. I also reckon I chose the best colour in the range - Missano red. Audi has one satisfied customer.

So far no problems - starts with one turn of the key and runs perfectly

Sporting warm hatch with superb roadholding

Average 55 mpg from a 1.4 turbo engine with cylinder on demand technology which is fascinating to watch on the computer - when you are coasting or going downhill mpg goes way over 100.

1.6d s-line sportback

This is my second A1, the first one covered 63,000 in 22 months. Never missed a beat. This one has covered 17,000 in 14 months, again without fault. Both cars are used for driving instruction to new drivers. Very good package, and soon to be replaced by yet another A1.

No problems to report

The 1.6d engine can trundle around town all day long, get it on the open road and she lifts her heels and away she goes

One service and a pair of tyres £400

1.6 S-Line TDI

Excellent car with a very smooth drive. Good for overtaking. Extremely powerful with good fuel efficiency. The Only slight negative is the boot size, if your looking to transport a lot of large objects look for another car. But am not that person, so a 5/5 from me.

Major problems with faulty power steering.

Major failing of power steering
Smooth drive

Good

1.6 TDI

2012

I absolutely love my Audi A1! It's a fantastic car to drive, very smooth and quiet. It's handles perfectly around bend and putting it in sport mode really increases the cars performance. It's lovely to drive to and from work. So fuel efficient and very comfy on long journeys! I would recommend this car to anyone. It's a stunning car with a lovely interior which is modern but very simple. If you want a fun, smart and beautiful car to drive I would go for one of these. I previously owned a mini and the Audi A1 has blown it out of the water! I'm extremely please that I have bought one and I would recommend them to anyone!

1.4t Amplified Version

Perfect car Audi A1 1.4t 5 door sports... We also drive a BMW X5 but now prefer this little cute Audi... Exceptional fuel economy but with great power... Love it

1.4 TFSI

This is a fabulous vehicle and the first Audi I have owned. I have always driven fraud cars in the past and my A1 beats them all hands down. The 1.4 petrol I have is pretty quick and great for over taking, I say it's more a warm hatch than a hot hatch. I also love the interior design and build quality and the vehicle sticks like glue to the road and when going round corners or at roundabouts. While I have to say that for tall adults it can be quite cramped at the back but for the avarage hight the rear leg room should be ok. boot space at the back is decent enough and there is no lip so you won't struggle to lift any heavy items out. In summary, if you want a car that's practical, stylish, great to drive,strong engines and classy interior then book yourself a test drive. you won't be dissapointed.

So far the veicle is very reliable

great handling and quick strong engines.

on average I do between 39 and 44 mpg

1.6tdi

2011

This is the worst car I've ever owned. I bought it nearly new and still with warranty and have spent the last 4 years mainly at the Audi garage and wish I'd got rid of it sooner (somehow I had faith that "Well its an Audi, this must be the last problem.") On several occasions the car has not even started, there has been various problems with the diesel fuel system, £2k spent on EGR cooler and the shame of having the car towed away several times. I was told by Audi "its diesel and needs to do long distance driving everyday." My annual mileage is average and I expect a newish car to at least start and run. Compared to current small new cars on the market now I would say the drive is average, the gear changes have never been smooth, the pick up is dull. I would save your money and buy something cheaper and more reliable.

1.4 TFSI Petrol

This is my third Audi but my first A1, I am retired now and no longer need a bigger car. The car is very sprightly and a joy to drive, the boot is a tad small, but I am used to a car with much more space and it's adequate enough. On a long run I get around 55mpg, so not bad, around town with all the stop start driving it is much lower of course. It is comfortable and I have not found it a hard ride like some stated. The build quality is first class as you would expect from Audi and as for price, well you get what you pay for don't you. I would certainly highly recommend it, especially for people that don't have a big family anymore.

1.4 tfsi

Great little car . Does anyone else have a problem in the morning with the starter motor sounding like it's over winding. It's ridiculously loud in the morning?

1.4 TFSI S LINE SPORTBACK

2012

On collection of the car I noticed a flaw in the welding on the roof by the rear window, I was extremely shocked to hear from Swindon Audi that Audi UK were refusing to repair the car on warranty. Swindon Audi paid for the roof to be resprayed. Unfortunately the repair took much longer than the agreed time scale. The build quality is poor, the white paint inside the rear wheel arch began wearing away after only a couple of months, the car was not washed using a power washer. The ride is very firm and uncomfortable particularly on the poor road surface we have now in the UK. It is very cramped inside even with only 2 persons in the front, if you want to have rear passengers only buy having the front seats fully forward can they get comfortable. The engine is very gruff and noisy when cold and the inside gets a lot of moisture far more than n any other car I have owned. After only 16000 miles and 18months the rear discs and pads had to be changed due to a stone apparently getting stuck on the discs, also the front discs and pads had to be changed due to the discs rusting and sticking. Swindon Audi stated they believed the car had "sat for some time" although they would not explain what 'some time' meant. Audi UK would not replace the discs under warranty. The service supplied by Audi to get you to buy the brand is excellent however once you buy the car and they have your money it is very poor. Audi represents itself as a premium brand luxury car priding itself on excellent quality. I have been buying cars for over 35 years and have owned many different makes and models, this was my first Audi which I bought due to the excellent media reports written on the A1. It will definitely be my last. The car is simply not worth the money I paid for it.

1.6 TDI S-Line

Handbrake failed after 4 weeks, car rolled down drive into a wall. Audi not interested!! Said that the handbook says to leave car in gear - Might as well not have a handbrake then. I wouldn't buy another Audi if you paid me. Customer after care is non existent. Just glad no one was hurt. Audi's arrogance is unbelievable. £20,000 for a car that they admit you can't trust the handbrake on !!!

1.0 TFSI

I had the benefit of driving a new Audi A3 diesel 2.0 for 3 weeks while my A1 was being shipped, which gave me good grounds for comparison. The bad first. The refinement of the cabin is not up to A3 standards. Not all controls have the aluminium trim, the steering wheel doesn't have fast forward controls for the music system for some reason, automatic lights are not standard, the cabin and headlights don't activate when you unlock. These small touches make the A3 feel like a really premium ride. The standard sound system on the A3 is also better. So while the cabin is certainly better than other hatches, it is a step down from other Audi models. That's the bad. The good, starting with the cabin, was somewhat unexpected. At night all dashboard and cabin controls light up in red, which makes you feel like you're driving around in a futuristic space fighter plane. It was the first thing one of my passengers noticed. It's truly beautiful. Secondly, the ride quality is just outstanding. I find the ride much smoother than the A3, partly due to the brilliant 1.0 liter engine. Ignore the critics who sniff at the engine size - the 1.0 TSFI engine is a powerhouse. You hit 80km/h in a blink, and I took it up to 140 km/h on the highway without it making the slightest protest. Anything bigger and you'd start feeling severe pain in city driving. As is you already feel like everyone in front of you is moving at slow motion, because this engine does not enjoy such trivialities or speed limits. It wants to cruise along at around 90-100 km/h. Keep in mind that I am writing this review from a city that sites 1600m above sea level. At sea level it must perform even better. The steering is supple and fluid, and the car hugs corners with astounding ease, and again you need to be careful that you don't fly into corners at 90 km/h while it feels like you're crawling along. The car is also ridiculously sexy. I got a few comments from friends that I was buying a 'girl's car'. The 3 door is anything but. It is compact and predatory and looks like a sports car. The bumper design is one of Audi's best, with the metallic finish around the grille giving it really premium feel/ The feeling is only amplified when you get in. This is not the car for parents to be or soccer moms. The boot is just big enough to carry a few grocery bags, and the rear passenger seats are an afterthought. Comparisons between this and the Polo are specious at best. I have driven the Polo equivalent as a rental in October, and while it's a nice enough ride, there is no comparison whatsoever. Some of the underpinnings may be the same (it is not a cut and paste matter, as many journalists have erroneously claimed) but Audi have customized this enough that the entire driving experience is easily recognizable as similar to the A3, while there is little reminiscent of the Polo. One warning is it is worth understanding the various add-on options before committing to purchase. I would have wanted Xenon lights but didn't understand what I was getting, and the same went for light and rain sensors. Retrofitting these is now impractically expensive. Otherwise a very happy buyer. For the first time in my life I look forward to the drive to work each day.

5 door petrol manual 122ps

A lovely car to drive, very responsive and plush inside. It drinks oil, though, and the water bottle cap is extremely difficult to keep on – it keeps popping up, even after Audi changed it. It's expensive even given the nice build. Bits are very expensive to replace although the Audi service works out reasonable as my low mileage car doesn't need a service at yearly intervals, like many. I am going to change it for a Honda Jazz SE, much better value and I don't really need the zip of a TFSI engine.

Reasonable

1.4 TFSI

I purchased a Audi A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI brand new from an Audi dealership in September 2016 - I love the car to bits! However there are a few issues I would prefer not to have... Firstly the car keeps making a ticking sound every time I turn the engine off - this continues for about 5-10 minutes then stops? Secondly I had a few issues with connecting my phone to the Bluetooth car system, its slightly better now but we do every now and again have a few hiccups (it hates Spotify...) Thirdly this morning I turned my car on and had 4 warnings come up: 1) Tyre pressure fault 2) Centre brake light out 3) windscreen washer out 4) Front light fault. Now I am pretty sure that for all four of these things to go wrong or run out all in the same day is pretty unlikely and my partner is convinced its due to the cold weather (it was -4 this morning) which in reality shouldn't be and issue with a car that cost around £18,000 to purchase? Having tested my lights they are all working which leaves me with the impression my computer system is faulty OR the cold weather has really affected the car. Having said all this I do love the car, It drives like a dream and for a 1.4 its extremely quick when it wants to be and not too bad on insurance prices. Every thing looks wise is also superb, its sleek and just feels like good quality - I did purchase the car in white and this shows up a lot of dirt but that't not the cars fault! I would highly recommend this car.

I WAS ATTRACTED TO THE mph given as 72 mpg This I have never achieved the best was 58 mpg I should have gone for a petrol model as I do small milage

1.4 TFSI S Line s tronic

I've read some of your other reviews and the 1 star reviews especially, I don't see how Audi should be expected to pay for discs that have been damaged by a stone getting wedged in, and surely you would have heard the noise. In my experience my Audi dealership have tried always to look after us, not just when it was us buying but also aftercare, if you're worried about the size of the car then get in the front and back before you buy, simple really. Our car has a lot of extras including two tone paint, sunroof, Bose sound system, comfort package etc. It's quiet on long trips, it's quick, it's true that the suspension is firm but not a lot more than the sport version we had last time. Build quality on our car has been fantastic nothing has gone wrong, paint finish is superb. This has been my best car to date and I've owned 5 series bmw's etc in the past.