Hyundai ix35 owner reviews

"The Hyundai ix35 boasts impressive style and practicality but it can be a bit pricey to run"

• Electrics (6 cases)
  • Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine (3 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Suspension (1 cases)

Ix35 1.7cdri

Owned from new, I've never had any problems since picking it up. Excellent fuel consumption for the size of car, powerful enough for overtaking. at high or low speeds. The only tiny fault is wind noise over 60mpg has me constantly checking the windows are not slightly open; that's what it sounds like. The handling, steering, power and ride matches or beats my previous car (a 1.5 dci Qashqai) and it's much roomier and has a bigger boot too. Although the Nissan had more extras (dual climate control, speed limiter etc.) I still prefer the Hyundai due to its greater size, space, power etc.

100 per cent reliable from day one

Plenty of power, never struggles on steep hills, overtakes easily whenever I need to even with 5 adults on board

Excellent fuel consumption - 50mpg average for me

premium auto

Don't buy!!! Pulls to the left. They check it and say there's nothing wrong. It will frustrate you and hurt your arm when driving. Poor dealership customer service.

Premium 2.0-litre

Reliable, good value, but don't believe the manufactures MPG.

1.7 diesel 2wd

Reversing sensors didn't work on delivery, now repaired and ok. Fantastic fuel economy averaging 52mpg mixed driving and 58-60 on motorway. Still haven't tried the hill descent button but intend to on next journey. Everything else working fine so far and runs very well. I had a 4wd petrol Tuscon for 9 years before and the costs were just servicing, tyres and brakes in all that time so the ix35 has a lot to live up to. It is far superior on the road than the Tucson and infinitely better mpg.

Fine so far.

Faster than my previous 2.0 petrol Tucson.

Excellent.

1.6 gas

Since receipt of this vehicle, external air (fumes, smoke etc.) fill the cabin even while the button is in recycle mode. Has returned the vehicle to the company on 3 seperate occasions and they still can't find the problem. They keep insisting that the vehicle has no problem.

Style 1.6

2012

My car was made in December 2012 and I bought it at 13 months old so it's the model with heated rear and front seats, diamonds on the wing mirrors etc (the newer models don't have this so don't want to get my review confused). I have had it for about 8 months now. Anyway. I LOVE my car. I went from a Fiesta to this so it felt massive for a few weeks and It doesn't have the reverse camera, just the sensors, and I'm totally fine at parking in tight spots, which I was concerned about. Space wise it's great, the kids have more than enough room in the back, as do my friends if we go out together and the boot space is a good size. The rear heated seats are a real bonus too in the cold weather and to de-ice the car using the heaters takes about a minute. I'd read handling was light on other reviews but I don't think it is. My car drives so smoothly and I live in the countryside so it does have to go up grass verges and over uneven roads a lot. The only thing is once on motorways I won't go over 80mph as the wind does take it as it's a taller car than I'm used to. Everyone comments how lovely and spacious it is and how nice the interior is, I'm so glad I bought it. Qashqai's aren't as big inside or as plush and I found Kugas of the same year really basic. My average is 40mpg. Mine's a petrol and to fill a tank it costs £55-60 and does 414 miles on a full tank which I don't think is too bad for the car size. I've taken my car to the garage as my steering was sticking a bit. Something sounded like it was rolling around in the boot...turns out it was a marble in a side compartment but they removed the whole boot area to check and sorted my steering but that was all free under warranty and (touch wood) there's been no other problems.

Hasn't let me down

I don't really push my car as I have children but it goes when I want it to.

I'd like it to have better mpg but I borrowed an ix20 while my car was being fixed and that was the same mpg and that's a tiny car. The warranty seems to cover pretty much everything.

2lt 4WD Diesel

2010

The car is great, but with a number of problems, the sunroof has been changed the front springs snapped and jubilie clip on turbo blew apart combined very poor fuel consumption it has gone down in my estimations.

2.0

2012

Bought this IX35 pre registered from Mount Garage Halifax with 50 miles on clock. Now under 2 years old and 17k on the clock the clutch needs replacing. Dealer also advices that flywheel etc worn out and puts it down to wear and tear. Hyundai refuse to accept any responsibility and I am left with a bill of £1800. I have been driving for 42 years and have never worn a clutch out. If you look at Hyundai forums it is full of aggrieved owners complaining about clutch problems, some with as low as 3500 miles and Hyundai claim wear and tear rather than pay for replacement. I have asked the dealer to keep the old parts which I will have accessed independently. As soon as I can, I will get rid of this car and probably go back to the VW Tiguan. So if you are considering an ix35, think carefully and in my opinion avoid like the plague. Another problem is fuel consumption. On motorways I get no more than 37, the Tiguan gave 46 for same journey.

1.5-2 litre, Diesel, Automatic

perfect. nothing went wrong

mpg is poor even on a long run

2010

I had a ford mondeo titanium x + sports pack previously, purchased from a ford main dealer, it was a year old when i purchased it with 8k miles on the clock. It was a beautiful car, bags of room in it and lots of gadgets, i kept if for a year & hated it. The steering was awful, the rear view was poor, it completely broke down twice (i had to call on the rac), plus i had problems with the headlamps and the indicators. Then at 11k miles the tyres were wearing on the ouside & inside. The dealer wanted me to pay for steering alignment and a new tyre at £160 each, but i had had enough, so i part exchanged it.

IX35 Premium, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

This is my 4th hyundai.Previously Had 3 santa fe's ad a i30 premium.They Have all been extremley reliable and very good value for money.

Premium with Media Pack, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Best car i've ever had

Style, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Petrol, Manual

Fantastic

2010

Great styling and equipment for the price, all the others were at least £3-4,000 more for the same package.

2010

Best car i have ever driven after after 31 yrs of driving - outstanding in every way !

CRDi, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

Great car and impressed all the neighbours when i first got it, they are still in awe now!! Looks great, stands out, handles well and comfortable to drive, which is important considering how many miles a year i do.

2010

Excellent all-rounder with performance, practicality and economy. Build quality is great as are the standard toys which are costly extras on rival brands.

2010

A very nice and easy car to drive good vision and feel of outstanding good quality

Premium (Media Pack), 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

There have been a string of faults, particularly during the first year, ranging from a faulty computer to a the on/off buttons paint running. Very, very slow in required parts being available. Total of 8 faults in the 1st year.

I caanot get anywhere near the quoted mpg of a a combined 47.8 mpg. The best I've got is 41.5, the average 38.5, a good 20% below the quoted figure. I have consistently acheived 3-5% better fuel consumption from previous cars over many years.

Premium Ind/Media Pack 4WD, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

good so far with no build or reliability issues

mpg significantly below expected figures

2010

Recalls to the suspension, bluetooth and seats

Better than my last car by far

Premium Individual Media, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

No problems so far. Build quality very good.

Uses far less fuel than our previous car despite being bigger

Premium with media pack, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

Perfect so far!

More economical than expected

Premium with Media Pack, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

So far its absolutely excellent - could put Mercedes BMW badge on and people would not know

Excellent MPG from the start

2010

Completley reliable and excellent build quality

Thirsty, particularly in the urban areas where I tend to drive

2011

General build quality is excellent. Reliability has been faultless so far (previous I30 did 60k without missing a beat)

The car is running a mix of road and journey types and returning just under 50mpg. I am sure it would be better if my wife did not forget about 6th. Servicing costs look good, and for the size of car VG on road tax

This is the second ix35 we have had and there have been no issues at all

Generally frugal, no clue about other costs as it is all taken care of by company

2011

The vehicle does exactly what I expected including economy

Returns the MPG quoted by the vmanufacturer

2010

No problems whatsoever. Only been in garage for service

Averaging in excess of 40MPG for a biggish car is great.

Style, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

Black, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

Its got everything I need for long trips its great and it roomy

Very ecomonical

2011

Never had any problems at all

Really good fuel economy

2011

head rests uncomfortable told to recline seat further back to resolve it

mpg 20% less than supposed to be

Petrol FWD

2010

From day one I had issues with touchy clutch, then at 25,000 needed to replace brake disc & pads, I then had to replace tyres @ close to 30000. I've had fan sensor stop working so could not use air conditioning setting twice, engine light on 2 separate occasions for 2 separate things - one of which I recently had to pay for (map sensors) $250 just out of warranty & it happened whilst they pulled my transmission out to replace clutch. I had to have front wheel bearing replaced which Hyundai mechanic misdiagnosed said it was clutch plate noise but after second opinion from my mechanic it turned out to be a wheel bearing. I have also within warranty had gears jump out whilst driving, but Hyundai - even though a common complaint - did nothing about because it did not do it when they drove it. Just this week my clutch packed in. I have never had a clutch problem in my 25 years of driving, so even though past complaint from day one, I had to wear the cost $1300 plus the map sensor engine light issue that was not there the week before. I then got my car back to a rattle in the front right so I took it back and there was a bolt missing from the brake booster hose but they assured me it was not related to their clutch repair. I have found Hyundai customer service incompetent & the mechanics I have dealt with at the dealership incompetent it has been a very expensive & frustrating 5 years.

Premium 2wd

I reviewed this car two weeks ago after owning it for a week. Three weeks on I've been locked out of the car twice, I have to wait several hours before it will let me unlock it. Fuel consumption not very good and I miss my panoramic sun roof!

Locked out of car twice for hours

Worse than my previous premium

1.7 Diesel Premium

2012

This car has been a problem from the start. First I needed a new fuel filter (Hyundai don't do that apparantly under warranty), then 1 month outside the warranty period of the clutch (2 years warranty, not 5) the clutch disintegrated and went into the fly wheel which has now left me with a £2,500 bill to pay and Hyundai will only contribute £700 towards. Would not go back to Hyundai anymore and they have lost a customer, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. Also Haddocks Hyundai Colchester are robbing b*****ds and will try and fleece you for every penny

1.7 Diesel Premium

2012

I love this car, view is great (I'm short) for driving through country. Specs are great for price. I had a Qashqai before this one, unfortunately the ix35 lacks the sophistication of the Qashqai e.g. auto read out of engine oil level on starting car. However, that aside the car is a good drive bit noisy on the motorway and the fuel consumption is as most say you don't get what the book says! I am now on my second ix35 it's a Premium but without the sunroof :-(

It never let me down.

Slow on take off.

Less than stated by manufacturer.

2 wheel drive petrol

31.5
Happy with the spec but the 1.6 litre petrol engine ECO model is very under powered. The suggested achievable mpg is not what I get. The best average so far is around 31.5mpg which is the same as I got with my old Toyota Rav 4 2.0 litre & 4 wheel drive car. Disappointing.

Sluggish 1.6 litre petrol engine with the ECO Drive model.

Much lower mpg than I expected so running costs are higher.

1.7 front-wheel drive

2010

This car is junk. From new it caused no end of problems. The Start/stop switch packed up within a week of owning this car. This was rectified about a month later as parts were not available. We also had a boot trim fitted by Hyundai which was badly fitted. This rubbed against the boot when it closed and the boot is starting to rust. It has been in three times to have this resprayed. They finally replace the boot trim to a new slim-fit version. which does not rub the boot. But... the damage has been done and the boot still rusts. Hyundai have been less than helpful and denied it was their problem - despite the original trim being supplied and fitted by them. Now... four years on we find that rust is developing on both rear wheel arches at the panel joins. Having asked Hyundai about the 5 year warranty (its main selling point) and I was told this is only covered for three years. My car is destined to become a rust bucket. Pretty rubbish.... As far as the car itself, it is mechanically OK but a bit slow. Not great for driving long distances and find the suspension a bit too bouncy.

Bodywork is junk. Had an issue with the fuel filter which they disputed wasn't part of the service. This failed before it was due to be changed in the service. They replaced it for free but it took a fight. Accelerates like a snail.

Accelerates like a snail. Slow.... cumbersome. Design is rubbish. You'd think it has a lot of space but find I have more space in my Honda Civic.

Not great... Useless fully loaded or with a roof box.

1.7 SE Nav

This is my 2nd ix35. The first one was a 2 lt premium, the only trouble I had was with the sat nav but it was upgraded and worked fine. The new one is the 1.7 engine. I have just come back from a trip to Bavaria and Austria, 2135 miles averaging 53 mpg. No problems at all. Great car.

2.0 CRDi Diesel 4WD Manual Media Pack

2012

The Negatives: The build quality of the Hyundai IX35 is shocking. The leather on the steering wheel is coming off. When I opened the electric panoramic sunroof fully, it couldn't close properly in 1 go so I had to close it bit by bit. The sat-nav doesn't accept postcodes. I've noticed that the rear view camera has become blurry. The sound proofing is terrible and when driving at high speeds the cabin is filled with road noise. In addition to, the plastics feel cheap and are hard. The fuel consumption is about 38mpg during short journeys and about 41mpg. I've only done about 20,000 miles and I already have to replace the brake pads and 2 front tyres. Positives: However it has a decent sized boot, heated leather front/rear seats, sat-nav, panoramic sunroof and keyless entry/go. The price is also reasonably priced and has a 5 year warranty. Got a good strong engine. My opinion: I would not recommend this car and I am looking to sell it in the near future. Get the BMW X3 if you can afford it, if not get the Honda CRV. Both have bigger boots, better MPG and better build quality.

2012

never had any problems with the car - it's excellent

very economical and cheap to run

2-3 litre, Diesel, Automatic

So far it's been good

Fuel price for diesel is a problem

2-3 litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

does what it says on the tin

seems heavy on fuel

Premium with the Media Pack, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

I think it's a brilliant looking vehicle, with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and loads of standard equipment. Just wished the sat nav worked better.

Brilliant

2010

Very impressed with the hyundai ix35,previously had a qashqai for 2.5 years and to be quite honest it isnt a patch on the hyundai.The Motoring press are guilty of badge snobbery and dont give hyundai a fair deal.the ix35 is a very very good car and i would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone.

2011

Totally satisfied so far. It runs smoothly, far better than some motoring magazine reviews suggest. Its quiet on the road; comfortable and I cant fault the build quality.

I haven't achieved the 'official' figures so far but the car is very new with less than 2000 miles recorded. Its not bad for a 4wd returning high 30s mpg including a lot of town driving.

Premium with extras, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, , Manual

2011

Appalling reliability ,it had a bad knocking noise on it and after 9 months the gararge could not identify where the noise was coming from and Hyundai where very unhelpful

Diesel engine was reasonably efficient but not as good as the manufacturers figures

Full media pack, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

The car was fine until it developed an intermittent fuel pressure error and the garage do not seem motivated to sort it out. I have now been dumped at the side of the road 4 time a record strange as all of my other cars have achieved around 100k of problem free driving.

Good fue economy is helped by keeping down to low revs

Premium with Media Pack, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Perfect. No Sweaks or rattles

PREMIUM, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

FUEL CONSUMPTION STATAED AT 47 MPG. ACTUAL ABOUT 36 MPG AND THATS DRIVEN SLOW AND GENTLY.

2011

A few rattles so far, but nothing serious.

Not as economical as I'd hoped, but hpoefully the engine will loosen up in a few thousand miles.

2011

No problems so far, build quality on a par with my other car which is a VW Touran

Does well for a 4WD but not as good as the advertised figures.

STYLE 1.7 CRDI 2WD, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

1.6 GDI

More than 5 years

This is my second ix35 1.6GDI. First one was bought in 2011 and was driving it till 2015 when I have bought another one. I was so satisfied with first one that I ve decided to buy another one befor end of production. My father in law still drives first one without single one issue. It has 140t km. My current one has 15k and also without any issues. 1.6 gdi is for me great engine. Quick to heat and reach working temperature (useful in winter), has enough Hp and very refined and quiet engine. I dont like diesels as starting price is higher, they are more expensive to maintein, shorter service intervals, more complex and expensive parts, more time spent at workshop, more chance to be left on the road. In general in my opinion not worth of eventual future savings (big maybe). Even start-stop system works perfectly. For example on my 2013 honda civic 1.8 petrol every time engine is turned on or off by SS system you can feel engine shutterd. On hyundai you almost dont feel anything. And there are more small but important differences. For example hyundai turns of engine even if you are crawling before full stop and honda waits until car has fully halted. Average consumption is around 7.66 l/km https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/583690.html

1.7 crdi

I like this car a lot. Okay mileage per gallon is not brilliant but the rest of the car is really good, comfortable and is really nice to drive.

So far so good.

Good.

Not as good as they say.

1.7 crdi

Bought the car just 2 weeks ago pre-registered with 54 miles on the clock, I was initially impressed with the car's appearance and the way it drove, however 800 miles later the steering occasionally feels notchy on certain bends and I have just noticed today that the rear door doesn't quite fit flush with the rear panel when it's shut & the bonnet is not fitting flush with the top of the wing. If I didn't know better I would have said it had been in a bump as the panels are misaligned on one side of the car. I've previously worked in the car industry for over 25 years in both mechanical & body repair roles so I'm looking forward to what cock & bull story they try to fob me off with when I take it back next week for them to look at it. The dealership is 30 miles from where I live and they have told me to drop the car off & leave it with them for a day and that I will have to make my own way home and back to pick the car up again as they don't have a loan car available to give me for over 2 weeks. Things are not looking good for my relationship with Hyundai. :(

1.7 tdci SE NAV

Really impressed, got rid of a 2013 Ford KUGA 2.0l diesel because of shocking fuel figures (30mpg), tank to tank this is achieving a healthy 50mpg, had the odd tankful down to 45 when the car was brand new but on a decent 60mph run over to the coast i can get up to 58 mpg.

Performance coming from a 10 sec 0-60 KUGA into a 12.4 sec 0-60 was a little disappointing but it's something you get used to, also seems too highly geared, i usually don't need 1st gear at all.

Diesel Auto

Great car with all extras except in South Africa radio does not have RDS or Bluetooth. Very stupid and miserly for a vehicle with all other luxuries. My car has one problem which no one seems to have heard about. When filling the car, it will take about 10-15 litres of diesel and the click pump will stop. From then on it can take about 10-15 minutes to slowly accept another 15-20 litres. Agents have replaced both the filler pipe and the tank but neither have helped. They are stumped and cannot find the problem. Any suggestions?

1.7 diesel

2011

This is the third winter of owning the ix35. I also own a Tuscon 2-litre from new for 7 years now, and that's only had one breakdown. The ix35, though, has lost power every winter since owning then stopped. Each time I'm told it's the fuel at fault not the car. I'm a roadside mechanic for a large German manufacture they don't have this problem. Too much water in the fuel - garage gave a sample yesterday when the car failed. Too much wax in the fuel clogging the injectors. Not covered by warranty, will wait and see on cost as so far refused to pay up and told them they can keep the car.

1500cc diesel

Very poor cosmetics i.e bodywork and interior. They damage very easily. Poor gearbox and clutch. The main issue the gearbox is getting stuck in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and clutch is very weak and smells like it is burning all the time and break pads wear out very quickly. We have had nothing but problems of Hereford Hyundai from there service to their mechanics it has all been very poor and you don't expect this sort of service when you purchase a 26,000 pound car. Even the after service is terrible I would not recommend this company to anyone. Hyundai Hereford's sales team has now demanded that we drive a broken car for 3 weeks until they can find someone to look at it. They point-blank refused to give us a courtesy car so we were forced to hire one off our break down cover. I am utterly disgusted with Hyundai and their service from start to finish and I would highly advise that no one purchases a vehicle from this company .

2.0 CRDI AUTO PREMIUM

2011

To be honest, I was hesitating to buy Hyundai 4 years ago due to bad comments but since I saw the Hyundai ix35 in the auto show globally I fell in love with it. I bought it 4 years ago brand new and since then I am very pleased with it and enjoy it everywhere I go: from mountain to highway and in urban areas. It’s a pleasure to drive it. The running cost is quite fair bearing in mind and the size of the car and the power - horse of the car never let you down even it’s over crowded. The car’s service is quite cheap as well as the spare parts. I would recommend this car to everyone that is looking for excitement, comfortable driving and beautiful moments with his/her family.

2.0 Crdi SE

Totally Unrealistic MPG of Only 34mpg, my 2.0 CRDi Qashqai returned nearly 60. Uncomfortable seats, made for smaller people than the average UK person. Wanders on the road and makes driving a real Pig rather than a Pleasure. I only gave it a star as there was no option to leave nothing.

**I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR** Bought a Hyundai ix35 this year. The car has been cutting out so we took the car to Arnold Clark to be repaired. I was informed car was not covered by the Warranty as the issue was with the fuel company and they had added something new to the fuel for winter. This problem is now costing £200 to be repaired. As a good will gesture Hyundai have agreed to pay £70 towards the repair. I am disappointed at purchasing a car that is not compatible to fuel that is sold in this country in the winter. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR

2010

Disappointing economy but good to drive and manoevre

2010

Good modern style,excellent use and design of the interior space,high specification and a good price.

2010

Although in general it is ok it is no of the quality of my previous santa fe or sportage,the front seats are more for the oriental bum than european,steering wheel obscures the stick & panel controls,drivers door lock intermittently sticks open,rear seats do not fold flat, diesel fuel consumption has never reached their published figures,gear box is a fiddle,air con is poor. Rather sad as in the past with hyundai we have been very pleased and bought six in ten years.

2010

Poor paint finish - not enough attention to detail eg.offside bonnet edge near windscreeen proud of bodywork Nice comfortable quite ride. Not enough storage inside cabin but boot is generous

style 2 wd, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2009

Top car for value for money. Plenty of kit as standard 5 year warranty with 5 years rac cover People who don't rate this car are badge snobsi

2010

Excellent value for money with an excellent range of accessories

PREMIUM, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

I am really pleased with the brand of car i have and the performance as a whole, i have had 5 hyundai cars in the past 6 years and i will keep buying hyundai as long as they are making great cars

iX35 Premium, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Fantastic

Style, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Very good

Premium Multi Media, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

Excellent reliability. Nothing has gone wrong so far.

Fuel consumption not as good as expected

Pemium, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

seem to be very good

I expected that it would be a little thirsty

style, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

1st class design and workmanship, a pleasure to own.

very ecconomical, average insurance, great.

premier, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

no problems so far, no rattles or clunks

i used to drive a 1.6 petrol vauxhal meriva and the IX35 knocks the spots off the meriva

CRDi, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

Excellant car well put together, no problems experienced

Changing to diesel saves on short trips as well as the long ones

premium, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Automatic