Mazda6 owner reviews

“The Mazda6 saloon is one of our favourite family cars, with sharp looks, precise handling and fuel-efficient engines”

• Engine (3 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine, Other (1 cases)

2.2d Skyactive Sport Nav Auto

Lovely car, but get a guarantee, signed in blood, from your dealership that it will cover at least the 12,500 miles stated in the handbook, before the oil-dilution light (DPF system) comes on. Oil change needed every 7000 miles. And yes, Mazda blame my driving style too!

As long as I know the fault I can cope with it.
Tyre squealing never appeals to me.

Good enough.

2.4 petrol

2009

More than 5 years

Don't buy one. Worst car i ever owned. It wastes more fuel than my WRX. It doesn't handle at all and the braking is a joke. The Air Conditioning is the only good thing about it.

GT Sport Nav + 2.2 diesel

Had the Mazda6 for 5 months now, its been ok. Nice to drive and very comfortable. There is a big problem with the paintwork. My car is Soul Red Crystal Metallic. A beautiful colour. However, Mazda cannot supply any touch up paint. Apparently the formula of the paint is too complicated to be produced in a touch up bottle. Where does that leave me with a stone chip? Also, I agree with many other comments about the rather strange keyless central locking system. I can never be sure it will lock when I walk away and inevitably end up pressing the key fob which defeats the object of keyless.

2.2 sports nav auto (175) diesel

Great looking car that performs well with good economy and space for 4 adults in comfort. I considered an e class but this car has all of the extras and more and easily beats the merc on price to even the basic spec of this model by a massive £12,000. I went for the soul red option with cream leather interior. Everyone who see it thinks it cost at least £40k. I have had the car for over 6 moths with absolutely no reliability issues. I would definitely recommend.

Very quick of the mark when needed

2.2D Sport Nav (175 ps) Auto

Awesome car in every respect. Excellent paddle shifts, superb handling in town and above motorway limits, comfortable, spacious and handsome. Its got everything I had asked for without ticking any boxes on the order form (unlike the german brands). I just wish by the time I come to sell the 6, Mazda has a 7 or a 8 ready for me.

2008

The DPF warning light came on after driving over 1300 miles in 3 days and from then on, it remained on. So I did a forced regeneration to the DPF. I drive a lot but, have to regen the DPF a lot. The fan belt snapped so I had it repaired at a Mazda garage, then it snapped again after just 6 weeks. I changed it again myself and it has been ok for 3 months but I always keep a spare. Then the aircon stopped working. The trim comes away from the window and makes a loud noise. The driver's seat constantly comes loose. The airbag light has come on. The indicators sometimes work then randomly stop working. It is the worst car I have owned and I have owned a lot of cars. The only real positive, is that the fuel economy is excellent.

Terrible constant problems

The performance is not bad

Average

2.0 petrol

2007

Not sure whether I pulled the short straw and bought a lemon, but the car was absolute disaster. Major engine failure, lots of rattles, ended up for scrap.

No reliability at all. Once I went to Mazda garage to be checked, they said it was a common fault for 2.0 petrol to broken pistons and camshafts.

It was lovely to be driven, when it was still not broken down.

MPG was quite alright for the power and the engine performance which was quite decent.

This is ostensibly a good car. This is my third new Mazda 6 but unfortunately with this model there seems to have been some cost-cutting. The Tomtom sat nav has been replaced with something that an adolescent might have designed as part of a school project. It ignores all that has gone before and is not really fit for purpose. My rear brake pads needed to be replaced after 7 months - I (a driver of over 40 years experience) was told that this was as a result of my 'driving style'. My car is now in its second year and both the clutch and flywheel hve failed and Mazda is refusing to accept any of the £2123.00 cost under warranty. I was told (before anyone had actually looked at it) that the failure was due to my 'driving style'. A quick google will tell you that Mazda knows all about this fault and they will fight you every step of the way. Mazda couldn't care less about their customers. I shall be cutting my losses and be getting rid of my last ever Mazda at the earliest opportunity.

2.0 SE-L

This is a good looking and well equipped car. Reliability has been excellent so far, and running costs are quite low for a car this size. Only two problems I have with it. 1. Even though the car is bigger outside than the older model, there is less room and a lot less storage space on the inside. 2. The petrol engine is less powerful, and the car slower, than the diesel equivalent. (Bring back the good old days when petrol ruled supreme)

So far, no problems with anything

You have to change down two, or sometimes three, gears to get good acceleration for overtaking. Slower and less powerful than the diesel version, which is just wrong in my book.

Running costs are quite low, especially for a car of this size

2.2 Sport

2010

More than 5 years

There is a lot I like about the car but I have experienced DPF problems and required a part engine change when the car was just out of warranty (3 years old). Now the car is back in a Mazda main dealer with error B1026 which they are telling me will cost £1440 to have a new steering lock control module. I had been out in the car and when I went to restart it the engine I had a red light on the start/stop button. I did the usual and checked all the batteries were ok and called Mazda service to get ideas... I was recovered and the garage had to contact the manufacturer to get the appropriate course of action as they were unsure. On researching this error I can see a lot of models between 2008-2012 have experienced this which has turned out to be costly and some still not diagnosed. I contacted Mazda manufacturer and they are not interested although I am positive this is not wear and tear but another manufacturing issue. I will NEVER buy another Mazda again... worse car and customer service from the manufacturer EVER!! I hope to get my car back working soon.....

Sport Nav

Great car. After 2 SEAT Leon Cupras I needed something bigger as the kids grew up. This has been perfect. For such a big car the handling is excellent without overly compromising comfort. Definitely recommend it if you want to throw it into corners a bit.

2.2-litre diesel

I saved up for two years to buy my privately purchased Mazda6 2.2-litre diesel. I love the sporty look of the car and in my opinion it's the best looking in its class. The ride feels great with plenty of power and lots of extras. However, within three days of having it, the oil light came on on my way to work. By the time I got back home the turbo had completely blown. This was down to the oil pick up filter located at the bottom of the engine completely blocked. In less than six months I've had to remove the sump and clean the oil pick up filter twice. Other than that, everything has been fine. Would I recommend the 2.2-litre diesel? No. Maybe I'll go for the petrol version next.

sel nav 145 hp automatic

I get 31 mpg about town and on a motorway run at 65/70 mph I reach figures of 50/ 51mpg. This is truly the nearest i have had to any car company's stated mpg. The car itself is well worth the money and has all sorts of little additions that make life easy like the nice lady under the dashboard who tells me when I have reached the speed limit for the road i'm travelling on and the easy cruise control system which seems flawless. The DAB radio also is a nice touch and seemingly unlimited choices for entertainment. Im getting another !

It's never seen the garage - only for a service
Wow, with the sports mode it can be frightningly fast from the lights

Very good for the size and comfort of the car

2.2 SKYACTIV-D 175 SportNav

Bitter sweet experience thus far [owned car for 3 months] Bitter - it's nowhere near as economical as my older, bigger engined Volvo S80 it replaced [43 v 38 mpg], nor as comfortable. Scratches too easily! The iPod connection takes 2 mins to connect and always starts from same song rather than where it left off and sometimes descends into white noise! It doesn't get on well with speed bumps, either. Sweet - fabulous looks [always gets a second look], seemless gear change, smooth engine, Euro6 compliant emissions so cheaper tax & insurance compared to the car it replaced If it weren't for the fact that I'd had its predecessor for 7 years and driven it all over Europe I'd probably rate the Mazda6 higher. I think I need to run it for 3 years before judging it too harshly. I am told the problem with the iPod is because I have an ancient iPod and I simply need to upgrade it, software issues I'm told by my expert. Economy will improve if I drive it slower with less rapid acceleration. My daughter and her friends love the Mazda6's looks and my brother-in-law says I've upgraded to a sexy car from an old man's car.
Too early to mention

Grrrrreat! Super acceleration smoothly delivered with a nice growl
OK so far but less economical than I'd like.

1.5-2 litre, Petrol, Manual

2012

2.0 SEL Nav Petrol

Have owned this car for two years. Absolutely no problems. Extremely comfortable on journeys even when fully loaded with four up and a boot full of luggage. Engine pulls well and is very economical on a run. Stylish design. Am just about to change for a new one. Only downside new ones have electric handbrake so not so keen on that aspect as I have a steep drive. Overall I'm impressed. Well done Mazda.

Sport

More than 5 years

I own a Mazda 6 (Sport). It has had recurrent problems. It has been back to the dealers every 10k miles for major repairs. At 12K miles major engine problems. Needed a rebuild. At 24k transmission problems. The list is endless. The old Mazdas were much more reliable, the new ones have lost their way. One star because I cannot give it any less.

Sport Nav 2.2 Auto

Pros Looks good. Comfortable drive. Generous kit. Cons Very unreliable. Broke down every 10k miles. Cam shaft & rocker assembly. Parking brake seized up. Engine oil vacuum pump failed. Exhaust valve broke. All in the warranty period. You have been warned!!

2.2D R-Grade (Equivalent to Sports Nav)

Gorgeous looking car. Very comfy seats for driver and passengers alike. Very easy to drive and suitable for long-distance driving. 47mpg with climate control set to 26 degrees Celcius. Big car yet very nimble in the narrow streets. Down side: - Parking is only possible with parking camera. - Best if the car has got full set I-Activesense available in my market. - Best if the brakes do have more braking power.