Ford Kuga SUV (2012-2020): owner reviews

"The Ford Kuga has recently been facelifted to keep it competitive, but its dashboard still lags behind some rivals"

• Electrics (7 cases)
  • Brakes (3 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)
  • Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

4x4

2010

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I've only owned the car 3 years and it has cost me a lot of money for fixing it up every few months when an new or repeating electric problem comes up and I'm stuck somewhere once more when it won't turn on! Every time I drive somewhere, I fear that it won't turn on again like so many times before.

Diesel, awd

1. First oil change required after the first 7500 km. 2. The second oil change required on 13200 km! 3. Navigation map for Romania is older than 15 years!!! 4. The plastic which is covering the front cameras is generating a very annoying noise.

2.0-litre turbo diesel with 180 PS engine, Automatic

This is a Motability supplied car, replacing a C-Max as we thought it might be good to have a 4-wheel drive for "snowy winters". I hated the C-max auto-box and the Kuga, coming with a double clutch auto box provides very seamless changing both up and down. The Engine pulls well and in town use gives around 42-44 mpg and long distance gives also 42-44 on long journeys. so far so good! When we picked the car from the dealer they hid a damaged rear door by standing in front of it and having driven just one mile to fill up with diesel, the dash message came up with "transporation mode" and the engine would not start again. On further service visits the paint was damaged as they apparently used pan scourers to remove bird droppings! Not Ford UK's fault, more a lousy dealership, and I would not go back to them, ever! The car has just passed 29,800 miles (front tyres just replaced, rears almost new....still) and on a trip from southern England to our home, the stability control light came on, car went in to limp home mode requiring a stop to reset it & on going into a Main Ford dealer we were told the car "needed Servicing". Today when trying to research what/why this "fault" arose I went on to a Ford ETIS page and discovered to my surprise that this car, although registered new in June/July 2015 is actually listed by Ford as "Built in 2013". I am astounded by this surprise! Just where has it been in these intervening two years? Whilst I like the car and was going to replace it with another Kuga, a Vignale, I am now in two minds and feel I need to get some level of clarification from Ford, but so far this has proved "difficult". I compare this with our experience some few years ago with a Renault Scenic where, following a gearbox fault (yes an auto) we even received a personal telephone call from Renault in Paris, enquiring if we were satisfied with the repair they had authorised and were we still happy with the car? I would like to say I would recommend the Kuga but would have to say that I could not really say too much about Ford itself. That said, I have now actually found what appears to be a very good dealership. Unlike my "local" Ford Dealer which is part of a large National Co., they are a family owned business and appear to still provide a very personal service and since they are very close to my daughter's home, I believe I will trust to them to supply our next Kuga, which I suppose says that I really would recommend this car to others. However, this is a large bodied car and it does remain my belief that small engines do not work well in large cars, therefore if buying one do NOT go for anything below the 2 Litre 180PS diesel engine variant which comes with a double clutch auto box (the 150PS auto is an old unit and is terrible in gear changes).
Overall, other than the stability control problem, currently under repair, the car has been reliable.
The 180PS 2-Litre engine is by far the best compromise between town and motorway use. at 70MPH+ it turns over at just above 2,000 RPM and acceleration using kick-down is almost sports car like, great for overtaking on the motorway as the g/box is seamless in operation. Ours is a Titanium, so some extras supplied over the base Zetec.
Diesel variant is a much better car as both town and motorway MPG is around 42 + MPG. Front tyres lasted 29.5 K miles with the rears hardly worn at all.

I love my Kuga and it’s the best car I have had since I started driving 46 years ago. I love the new shape and driving is very pleasurable. It corners well and drives like a dream. It is ideal for local and motorway driving and is very nippy. The only thing I miss is the camera which I hoped would have been included in the price, especially as most cars are equipped with cameras nowadays.

1.5 ecoboost zetec

We changed from a 13 plate Focus 1.6 zetec diesel. I needed a car with a higher road height(I was having difficulty getting in and out). I chose the petrol because of my low annual mileage and this has become my biggest problem. The combined fuel consumption that Ford quotes is somewhat optimistic. I really like the car, good looking, good handling, boot is wide but not deep. We have had 3 adults in the back and it handles really well. If I could turn the clock back 12 months I would have got the 2.0 diesel or Renault Kadjar 1.5 diesel.

Titanium X Sport Auto

A well built, quiet and comfortable 4x4 with very good road holding. I've had a few niggles with brake noise but that's sorted out now with new pads. Fuel economy is fantastic for the size of car and being a 4x4 automatic; on a journey it can reach 60mpg, around town (I drive in the rush hour every day) it sits at 35mpg

2.0 TDCi Titanium AWD 163PS Manual

Terrible fuel consumption - the dealer says 40mpg is OK in the winter. The handbook says minimum of 44mpg and a maximum 60mpg - it's big joke, I'm very disappointed.

Titanium X Sport

it is a joy to drive and comfy . Had a rattle from starting and accelerating - appears to be the turbo rattle from one of the spigots. Ford sent a global mail, but it is not a fault.

Titanium AWD 163

2012

All round this is a very good car, we needed a cheap to run 4x4 as we live on a rough lane and the Kuga is perfect for the runs to school and motorway work. 20,000 miles and no faults. Fuel tax and insurance all very cheap! Insurance £180, tax £170 and 33mpg. The Land Rover Discovery before it was costing us £100 a week in fuel.

2.0 Zetec 140bhp AWD

Can't fault this car. Lots of luggage space, reclining rear seats, good driving position, great SYNC system and good handling. On a recent 100mile journey with 4 adults and 4 full sets of golf clubs in the car I achieved 38mpg, not bad for a large SUV 4x4 and I wasn't driving frugally. Despite it only having 140bhp, it really does accelerate well and it negotiates corners with ease. Best car I've ever owned (until the Mustang arrives in the UK!).

Never had a slight bit of trouble with this vehicle. It's been 100% reliable.

Due to the torquey diesel engine it picks up smoothly and rapidly.

Using it for normal every day driving about town with some country roads thrown in and still returning 39-40 mpg is good for a vehicle of this size with 4x4.

Titanium X TDCI AWD 2.0L 163PS Powershift

36.6
Great car, no problems. Like sports mode and the kick back feature, even tho it's a automatic you can still select which gear you want to be in thanks to the up/down buttons on the side of the gear shifter, sports mode holds the revs longer before changing up a gear.

2010

It's always there whenn needed

The cs for tyres seems excessive

2012

This is my second Kuga and have never had a single issue with either car

Fuel consumption is average due to town driving

33.2
SO FAR NO SERIES VEHICLE PROBLEMS

POOR FUEL CONSUMPTION MAIN RUNNING COST

Zetec AWD, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Very reliable so far.

Titanium x powershift transmission

It was lovely at first, but I just had to have the automatic gearbox clutches replaced. It's only done 58,000 miles, but the dual clutch gearbox is terrible. They should have had a recall, it's disgusting you spend your hard earned money to get a car and it turns out to be a heap of rubbish.

2.5. Titanium model. AWD. Petrol.

2011

Purchased this car 4 months ago. August 2019. Was in stunning condition, just like new. Credit to the previous ONE owner. Ran really well except for bad road noise. Tyres perhaps could have been changed to a quieter set. Huge problem was the very TOXIC smell of the 'leather' seats and dash/door finishings. My wife got ill every time we went out with throat burning. It didnt affect me at all as I have worked with chemicals in my employment over the years. Got to the stage that my wife wouldn't go out in it at all, so the vehicle had to be sold. We were shocked at such a strange problem. Looking online it appears that this is a problem for other car owners from time to time. Beware of 'leather' seats.

2.0d Titanium Sport 180 4wd

My only Ford in 40 years of driving and it'll be my last Ford. Beautiful car to drive, but the fuse in the driver's electric seat has to be replaced 2-3 times a month. Electric windows stopped working and had to be fixed, same with the central locking. DAB radio is a joke as it uses rear demister as its antenna and loses signal every few minutes. With 36,000 miles on the clock, the clutch and flywheel disintegrated pulling onto a motorway. Ford were uninterested and wanted £1900 to fix. I got it done at a local garage for £800. I have never replaced a clutch in any car in my 40 years of driving. Be aware if buying a second hand car with around 36,000 miles on it.

2.0 tdci auto

I bought this used at over 3 yr old but with only 24k miles on it so thought I would get some mileage out of it. After having it three months the engine started shuddering violently on a motorway and had sporadic power, no warning lights came on. Took it to a Ford dealer, engine specialist and the Fiat dealer I bought it from and nobody can find anything wrong. It’s now 5 months on and still having intermittent issues with the engine and gearbox - usually when far away from home. Other niggling problems include noisy irritating squeaks, tapping and ill fitting plastic trims. A tailgate that opens in its own accord - great for when you have a dog in the back and anything in the boot! The radio screen freezes every now and then generally it is frustrating to drive. It does on the other hand feel comfortable to drive, but I have had too many issues to recommend

2.0lCDTi

Love this car. Brilliant to drive so smooth and quiet. Powerful engine. Love the interior but rather have a proper handbrake. The navigation systems is amazing too

2.0 Diesel Automatic

I absolutely love this car. It's the best Automatic I have ever driven. The transmission is fantastic, so smooth that you can't even feel it changing gear. It is very smart inside and has plenty of room in the boot for my mobility scooter plus shopping. Also lots of room in the rear seats for my grandchildren and loads of leg room for adult passengers. The SatNav is very easy to use and very easy to follow giving a very relaxing an worry free drive wherever you are going. So far I have found nothing bad I can say about this car

2.0lL TITANIUM DEISEL

36.5
I had previously owned VWs - this was my first Ford on first impressions I loved it and wanted a comfortable work car as I do a lot of miles. I still had eleven months maufacturers warranty on the vehicle up to March 2016. Two weeks out of warranty despite having it serviced regularly the oil warning light came on and I had to be recovered home - this resulted in the dealership in Mansfield examining the vehicle and finding the internal oil pump had fractured causing the engine to seize and damaging the turbo. I have just been presented with a bill for over £6K with no acceptance from the Ford dealership. I could not get the damaged parts from the garage for examination and it's looking very much like a legal battle. It rides well and fuel consumption is not what it says on the tin. The radio freezes, the boot has a large gap between seat and boot. I paid nearly £20k for this car just over one year ago and this is diabolical. Don't buy a Ford Kuga.

Nightmare

Power but no economy

Not what I was led to believe by the salesman

2.0 diesel Titanium X

This is a great car to drive good in the winter as I went for the AWD version - strong diesel engine pulls well, only issue I have is the perspex cover over the fuel gauge/temperature gauge has cracked. Dealer won't replace as he thinks I've done it. Good car, poor dealer.

2.0 tacit 2 wheel drive

Took delivery first week of July 2014 and already been in the garage. Battery discharged when left overnight and I couldn't unlock boot to get my electric wheelchair out. I've since found out it's down to the Bluetooth turning itself on. Hate to say I found this out myself not from the dealer- they have had this problem for some years as I've found online from other owners.

Apart from problem in main review, pleased.

Very responsive as I have a heavy foot but still getting 41 mpg round town even with electric wheelchair and hydraulic hoist in the boot.

Better mpg would be great.

2.0 Diesel Titanium X

I'm impressed with this car! I live in Norway, and the price is much higher here. My car costed 500 000NOK which is around 50 000 pounds I guess?.. Still cheap here in Norway.. anyways.. This is a good car with really good build quality, before I drove a BMW X5 (2010) which was really expensive to have, and I wasn't impressed by the quality either. so I went back to Ford. The Kuga is a bit small, but it's not a problem.

1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Manual

2009

Owned for 18 months and never had a problem. Hope I'm not tempting fate.

Just fuel, servicing. tyres, insurance and tax

2-3 litre, Diesel, Automatic

2012

I have only had the Vehicle for 3 months and have not had any problems.

Just Fuel @ 143.9p / litre

1.5-2 litre, Diesel

2010

some early electrical problems now resolved

service costs,tyres,economy all acceptable for this type of vehicle though economy drops by 5mpg in colder weather.

no problems

very little

titanium, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Superb

Loose wire on turbo.

Zetec, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2009

Great, easy and lite to drive, fantastic, a great all rounder.

2010

Smart comfortable safe and relatively cheap to run

titinium, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

Excellent car though a little expensive-wish i would have picked 4wd

Best car ive owned

2.0 titaniumx 4x4 tdci auto diesel

A good car to begin with, handling good, nice firm suspension. After about 26k of my miles (45000 approx altogether) noticed a strange noise when gears changing upward in the lower range, ie from 1 to 2 to 3, a sort of grinding noise . The best way to describe it is like when you have a worn bearing in a bicycle wheel, OK when you first spin the wheel, but when it slows right down, that's when the noise starts... Got advice from a local lad, he couldn't reproduce the noise, but felt a clutch slipping. Took the car to my local Fords who ran their expert eyes over it, watching them from the MOT viewing window, they seemed to be looking at everything BUT the gearbox. Got a video from them which detailed many faults, ending up with them telling me that there was a seepage from the sump, which COULD have been the problem, What?? there is no leakage on my driveway whatsoever: "there are different kinds of leakage". They could replace the sump gasket, change the fluid and filter which might cure the problem, but might not...this would cost me £229 plus VAT presumably in addition to the £114 diagnosis charge. If this didn't work, they could change the gearbox for £4000 plus VAT. Took car to an excellent gearbox specialist in Romford, M&M transmissions if you're interested, said he wouldn't take the repair on, (and said not many would either!) because so many problems with that particular gearbox type. However he drove the Kuga to identify the problem, which was among other things was a dodgy clutch. I'm sorry he couldn't take the job on , he seemed totally trustworthy. Found another transmission specialist in Harlow, (RAC recommended) who listened patiently then said they could recondition the box for £1875 plus VAT, furthermore would loan me a car for the duration, to save me a two hour bus trip twice . So that's it, here's hoping....

Titanium X auto AWD 1.5 EcoBoost 182hp

Really delighted with car, as I do not do high mileage in my daily activities and don't pay for my fuel, the petrol variant is ideal for me. I like all the features such as heated leather seats, Bluetooth connectivity and sat nav with reversing camera along with panoramic roof. The car is a pleasure to drive. Auto gearbox is smooth and in Sport mode it really takes off when kicked down. Paddle shifters are fun to use as well. It has had no faults as such, the only thing I have done is top up the oil. I have no hesitation in recommending this car.

Totally reliable.
Great on kick down in Sport mode, it is only a 1.5-litre at the end of the day.
Yes not great on fuel but would refer to earlier comment, also there will be no dpf issues with petrol car.

2 ltr diesel Titanium

2008

Possibly the most amazing and versatile car I’ve owned. Very comfortable and extremely reliable. It's now approaching 150k miles, has been regularly serviced and had the timing belt changed a year ago. As far as I’m aware still has all its original parts inc. fuel pump, fuel injectors, clutch, steering, electronic equipment and Ford were great with the recall for the heated washer jets even though the car was 8yrs old. The engine still runs smoothly with plenty of torque and all suspension and steering still working as it should... it drives straight and tyres still wear evenly. This car has surpassed all my expectations, of course as with anything you will always find the odd lemon and I do give sympathy to those who have less than good experience but in my experience I can totally recommend having one

Titanium X 2Litre awd

This is my first Kuga and it will be my last. The build quality is terrible. It's been back to the dealer so many times for build issues. Crooked steering, rattles, creaks, sync screen that constantly freezes, Bluetooth that loses calls more often than it connects. It's beyond a joke. Seats are uncomfortable, auto gearbox gets confused at low speeds and the Mpg is a joke unless you pretend that Miss Daisy is in the back. On the plus side, nope. I got nothing.

2.0 Titanium 120HP FWD

A family member bought one of these in 2016 as an upgrade from a 2015 Mondeo. And I've had a few mixed feelings off it. PROS: -------- -It's a great looking car. Ours is the 2016 model with the pre-facelift design but I still think it's nice. -It has a lovely high driving position. It feels like you're towering over everyone else. It's also got a loud and assertive horn, so people won't mess with you. -The interior storage is quite good. The door bins are big albeit a little awkward to access. There's a pair of great sized cup holders. One problem however is that depending on your ideal driving position, they can obscure the gear lever and this has been annoying considering ours is the manual. There's an armrest with a pair of cup holders in and a pair of seatback pockets which can hold quite a lot. The glove box is also a very good size. Can easily swallow a big bottle. -The boot is a very good size and the seats lie totally flat which is great considering my dad is a cyclist. His bike fits in with about a square acre of room to spare (slight exaggeration). CONS: --------- This is the bit where I start moaning... -The infotainment screen is horrible. It looks cluttered and is clunky to use. It freezes a lot and is just very badly executed. -The fit and finish is an insult for this price point. The interior trim pieces feel like they could fall off at any moment. There are parts which don't fit correctly at all. The leather feels cheap and tacky and from the dealer, it felt damp. Keep in mind, this is a new car, not used. The seats are not very comfortable. They feel overly firm. -THE PRICE!!! Oh my god! For this price point (€33,000 approx), I'd expect premium feeling leather, good fit and finish and a well thought out infotainment screen (Cough cough BMW iDrive). For this sort of money, I'd rather buy something like a Volkswagen Tiguan, Skoda Kodiaq, SEAT Ateca or Peugeot 3008. That would be the main reason I'd tell you to avoid this car. It's not a bad car, but for this price point, you could have so much more.

2.0 titanium

Just took delivery of my new Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150 on 1st of March, first of all had to leave it the morning I went to pick it up due to paint defects, finally got it late afternoon. While driving it home I noticed no DAB working - never had any trouble with my previous Ford, then on day 2 the airbag lights won't go off, then day 3 no heat in the car - only blows ice cold so back to dealer, but having said that it drives really well and doesn't feel like a heavy car and the new engine is so refined. It has the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, so up to now still pleased I bought it.

2.0 TDI titanium

Car has overall been excellent with no reliability issues whatsoever.One recall for a faulty milage/mpg display requiring a program update,other than that the car has been faultless. Also used on long journeys and is extremely comfortable with excellent Sony sound system. Dealer experience has been outstanding with nothing being too much trouble (maybe I'm One of the lucky ones). Overall very impressed, so much so I'll be ordering another come September.

Other than the recall for the ECU update,Faultless.
Again,typical of this type of car,not the fastest, but that's not what it's about.
Acceptable for this type of car,nothing overly expensive.

2012

Drove back to the UK and the engine malfunction light came on with reduced power. It was back to normal for 3 weeks, then on way back to Spain the same problem occurred. Every time we stopped the light vanished and the car drove well for about 10 minutes, and then went back to malfunction mode. The DPF was replaced by the dealer and drove well for 4 weeks - then the problem was back again. Now I have no confidence in reliability.

20tdci auto titanium X

First SUV I have owned. Very pleased overall and was impressed by its handling and ride for such a large car. Rather disappointed in the MPG though and can not get near the official 50mpg figure. Got good insurance rate too.

no challenges so far
Impressed. Handles very well, auto box very smooth although has to think before pulling away from stationary!
disappointed with actual fuel consumption vs claimed. Not looking forward to replacing tyres though.

Titanium X 180 Sport

Very pleased with the handling and performance of the diesel automatic engine. Much improved on my 2012 Kuga. There are too many buttons on the dash for my liking and I preferred the positioning of the large satnav screen on my previous Kuga. Overall more stylish, roomy and better performance.

1.5 titanium x awd

Just took delivery of this vehicle after having owned a 2011 Renault Scenic. First impressions: powerful, well-built car. Good road presence and lovely quiet ride, engine wise. Pulls away rapidly when needed. The interior space is small for the size of the car compared to my old Scenic. Rear seats just don't seem to fit the car properly. There are large spaces between back of the headrests and the luggage cover, almost 5 - 6 inches and about 4 -5 inches from the end of the cover to the tailgate. As such, you hear any of your items in the back, swaying and swashing about constantly. Also, they can be seen by prying eyes. For some reason, this car pulls noticeably to the left so I'll be back to the dealer concerning that. My biggest gripe with this car though has to be the mpg. Yes, I've gone from a diesel auto to a petrol auto, but this has been really shocking and a total let down. I'm currently getting about 14 - 16 mpg and I'm really doing careful driving with full eyes on my speed and driving technique. This is a real worry as by my estimates, this will only do about 160 - 180 miles on a full tank with town driving. My previous Renault Scenic Diesel Auto did around 400 with town driving. This is a real worry as I've never been in a car and watch the fuel gauge fall while idling waiting for my family to get in the car after 15mins. All in all, there are some things that can be done better, and some things are just done badly. Wish I'd gone for an X-Trail!

So far so good.

Don't see what the hype is all about with the Fords these days. Although it's ok, it doesn't set my pulse racing.

Abysmal. MPG figures are WAY off the stated. Fuel bill will really be high too. Sort it out Ford.

Titanium X

A great car for both short local and longer journeys. It has a great auto gearbox that has perfect changes, even when towing our caravan. It has more than enough power and torque for all driving situations. It's well put together and has lots of optional extras, including self park and foot swipe tailgate opening. A great car for all occasions. The only reservation I'd have is the centre seat in the back is only suitable for a child, but then I only ever carry a maximum of four adults, and for that there's more than enough room.

Totally reliable, has never let me down.

More than enough power for all occasions.

Very reasonable for a 2.0 diesel automatic.

2 litre tdci AWD titanium X sport

On my 2nd kuga now & I can safely say they are fantastic cars. Spent a bit extra and went for a titanium X sport in race red which looks awesome now they have colour keyed the exterior trim. I'm a bit of a 4x4 off road enthusiast and have an old defender to play in but I'm not saying it's going to go everywhere my defender goes but it's more then capable and dam good fun in the muddy stuff. The intelligent 4WD with the traction control turned off is excellent. I believe if you can't figure out the infotainment system within 20 mins by having a little play then you shouldn't be driving at all. It's all self explanatory.

tit x 4x4 2.0 auto diesel

I have had many cars over the last 50 years of driving from a morris 1000 to a jaguar xj6. the kuga is the worst car I have ever owned the ride is terrible more so around town-fuel consumption for a two litre auto is the worst I have ever had for a diesel, the boot is tiny, also all the buttons on the dash are confusing especially in the dark and the nav screen is tiny. and there are too many blind spots from inside the car when driving. in short this car which costs £30.000 is a waste of hard earned money

bits keep falling off

under powered

very poor and miss leading ford manual says 39-50 mpg cannot get over 35 even on a run with I passenger and driving like my granny

>3 litre, Diesel, Manual

2-3 litre, Diesel, Automatic

2009

no issues since i've owned it

Never had a problem

Reasonable service costs

3 month old and issue with abs and stability control sensor developed

Ł80 to fill approx 500 miles on tank

1.5-2 litre, Diesel, Automatic

2011

I bought the car new, and, apart from a puncture, I have had no problems at all.

I expect a 4 wheel drive to use more fuel, so road tax will be higher. Otherwise servicing costs are reasonable at main dealer & 40mpg average is not bad.

Trend 1.6T AWD

My Kuga does not come close to the petrol consumption figures claimed by Ford. Around town it's between 15 and 18 mpg. On the freeway, at a constant 70mph it's around 32 mpg. I've taken the car back to the dealer and they say everything is to spec which means that Ford are understating the fuel consumption by some considerable margin. I am considering taking the loss and trading the Kuga for something more economical

titanium, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2008

Very practical car for what we need to use it for, the wife loves driving it and would recommend it to any one looking for a smaller type 4wd

Good buy

Kuga, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

Superb! Great in all the snow and ice and at home in town or country

2.0 Diesel 180 PS Titanium AWD - Automatic

Bought the Kuga at 15 months old (5k miles) which was one of the last mk2 models with the new latest spec interior and auto box. Test drove other 4x4/all-wheel drive models and the Kuga came top. Taken into consideration were service costs etc. I went for the all-wheel drive model due to living in a hilly area which is prone to snow. I prefer the auto box to my previous 2015 facelift model Volkswagen Passat - the DSG box in that was awful. A point to note, 4x4/all-wheel drive are worthless in snow without proper winter or all-season tyres. I purchased a second set of alloys and fitted Goodyear all-season tyres 235/55/r17 which I hopefully will try out any day now. I have noticed fuel consumption is slightly worse. The Titanium model I searched for was preferred due to the half-leather seats. The higher spec models have too firmer a seats for me. I highly rate the Kuga, even after owning BMW's and other 30k plus cars. It won't handle like a saloon, get over the higher seating position and softer suspension and it's a relaxing drive. The second service was £220, the third one includes the auto box and all-wheel drive service which will be near £500. My only issue is fuel consumption, matched with the all-wheel drive and auto box I'm averaging 30mpg! I have a short commute and miles are split 60% town/20% country/20% motorway. The summer months average 33mpg on the summer tyres 235/50/r18. A trip in early January of 250 miles 70% motorway avg 35 mpg! Ouch. My advice would be opt for front-wheel drive and change tyres for winter. Opt for the sat nav, I have the 8-inch screen but no nav which I regret now. Overall, great car after driving 5k miles.

Only issue was the sync 2 system stalled and would not switch on or off. I inserted a CD and it came on. I did a factory reset in the settings and all sorted. However it did seem to updated itself whilst connecting to the house wifi.

180ps is great, 400Nm of torque pulls great up to about 75mph. Six-speed auto pulls well in all gears. Acceleration feels faster than quoted stats.

Service, insurance and road tax are all ok, fuel consumption is poor. I guess this is the all-wheel drive which is on all the time/the auto box/weight of nearly 1900kgs.

Titanium X

This is my third Kuga. All been totally reliable. Plenty power plenty room and great handling

ST-LINE

This is my 3rd Kuga and has the best spec of the lot. I chose the 1.5 diesel this time but my last two were the 150bhp 2.0 diesels. The 1.5 is fine but i'll go back to the 2.0 next time because I miss the power. The fuel consumption is great for the size of the car and i've had 65mpg on a run back from Scotland

ST-line

I changed to a diesel automatic Kuga from my VW diesel auto Tiguan. I'm afraid I find the Kuga absolute rubbish. Fuel consumption is approx 32 mpg in town, 35 on motorway. The Sync 3 infotainment locks up constantly. The fuel cap isn't lockable. The gearbox is rubbish and hesitates changing down. The touchscreen is mounted too high for left-hand operation. The cargo cover does not cover cargo bay and is fiddly to refit. There's minimal storage in the cabin or under the cargo bay floor, and a stupid storage box in the floor under drivers seat. The parallel self- parking system leaves the car to far away from the kerb and diagonally out in road. Radio reception is poor, too.

Titanium X 4x4 TDCi 163ps

What can I say, I was so pleased when I initially bought this car. I searched around for ages for the right model (Titanium X) with a low milage, finally found one and took it for a quick test drive and all seemed ok. Within the first week, I notice that the drivers seat moves slightly when you brake or accelerate. I've heard that this is a known issue with some models (It used to happen on some of the Mondeo and Escort seat frames). Ford refused to do anything with it saying it's "in spec". A seat moving when you brake doesn't feel very 'in spec'. The clutch is not very progressive, there's nothing at all until you get almost to the top and then it's very sharp. I spoke to the workshop technicians about this as I have enough experience to believe that the clutch was on it's way out. I was told that's just how clutches are on diesels (I've owned many diesels before). Maybe he meant, that's how clutches are on Ford Diesels. 6 months and 32k miles later I had to replace all the brake discs due to warping. They had plenty of thickness left on them and the pads were good but braking caused the car to shake and judder. I don't drive like an idiot, I'm in my 40's and have two children. After another 6 months, the battery started going flat overnight, and the fuses blew on the starter motor. I took it to Ford and they kept it for two weeks, but no issues were found despite the AA finding faults on the ECU. Another few months later I had an AWD failure warning on the dash. The AWD 'Haldex Pump' gone, Ford say you have to replace the entire unit (which costs around £1,000 for the unit, plus labour). I found that the Haldex is the same on many vehicles, Volvo for example use the same parts and allow you to change the pump for £290ish and the filter for £30 ish. Ford claim it's not doable even though, if you're reasonably mechanically minded, you can do it yourself. It's had a few more issues but those are the major ones. I would never, ever, recommend a Kuga or a Ford to anyone, I'm currently looking to cut my losses and get rid of it. Maybe I've been unlucky, but searching around it doesn't seem so. Personally, I've found Ford garages to be less than useless, they talk rubbish or don't do the work that's been paid for and hope the customer isn't mechanically minded enough to know. When you are told a part can't be replaced by a trained mechanic and the whole unit has to be replaced for a few thousand pounds, and go on to check online only to find you can order the part and fit it in an hour for a few hundred pounds you start to see them for what they are.

Very, very poor. See all comments above.

The engine pulls well and acceleration is decent enough for a larger vehicle. It's about the only thing it's got going for it.

Fuel consumption ia nowhere near quoted figures. Driving carefully on motorways only will just about get you to 36mpg. Around town you are looking at 30 - 32 ish.

Titanium 2.0 auto

A well built and comfortable car to drive, it's very responsive for its size with enough grunt to overtaken and provide a spirited drive. The AWD works really well, and I get good mpg on a run. Auto gearbox better in sport mode but economical in normal drive. The autopark feature is worth having given the size of the car. There's plenty of room inside for a family of four. The navigation and voice controls are a bit slow and take getting used to – the apple sync to Siri is more effective and can be accessed by a long press on the steering wheel. The I am hungry command works well though and once familiarised parking commands to find a car park is also useful. The interior styling is good, my only criticism being the steering wheel which has been updated in the new model. Dirt does build up under the doors before the interior seals so this is another gripe but a small issue.

Titanium

Amazing car inside and out the lights inside and the touch screen are brilliant, but most importantly we feel safe.

2.0 diesel automatic

39.7
Full of surprising features (surprising to me, that is--my last car was a 2001 1.8 Zafira converted to autogas), eg automatic headlights, automatic wipers, electric sunroofs front and rear, automatic interior mirror etc. One of the few problems for me was the information system...too much! I found myself checking instantaneous mpg, average mpg, miles left to empty...and this was as bad a distraction as using a mobile phone! (which I don't BTW). I now set the info to Miles remaining, if I want to check the other info I leave it until at home. I have a bit of a problem with road noise which I put down to the low profile tyres. When they are due for replacement I'll see how much "normal" tyres cost. Another problem for me is the very low first gear, useful for driving up the side of a house, but causes an unpleasant lurch if I put my foot down from standing start. I slip into second using a nice little switch on the side of the gear lever to select second for normal starts. Much smoother. I agree with other reviewers about the rear compartment curtain, too much of a gap. Driveability is excellent, holds the road like a tank, I have utmost confidence in the Kuga when cornering, I have added probably at least 5MPH to the Zafira's cornering speed, even on wet roads. The brakes were a bit of a problem at first, learning not to press too hard took a few weeks, but the Zafira did have 187k on the clock... All in all a very comfortable, confidence-inspiring vehicle. I'd get a new one tomorrow if I could afford one!

2009

Never had an issue in 4 years.

Petrol costs are high because of low mpg.

1.5-2 litre, Diesel, Automatic

36.3

Very good no problems

Could do more mpg

2012

lower than expected mpg otherwise fine

2010

NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG SO FAR!

POOR FUEL CONSUMPTION LET'S IT DOWN BADLY

ok so far

fuel consumption not great but should improve

no probles