In-depth reviews

Honda Civic owner reviews

“The latest Honda Civic is a real departure, with unique styling in the family hatchback class and lots of desirable talents”

• Brakes (1 cases)

1.6 I-Dtec SR

2019

Great car - does everything I need, is comfortable & gets 60mpg.

1.0 cvt ex

Simply the most enjoyable car to drive in all respects. Excellent driving position. I've previously owned eight Honda Accords over 30+ years. I wish the current Civic had been available sooner. The styling is "marmite" - you love it or hate it. I have got used to it and like it.

So far no problems whatsoever.

Despite reviews to the contrary I find the cvt transmission beautifully smooth.
Fuel consumption slightly lower than I had hoped, but my driving has been limited to running around built up areas.

1.0 L PETROL

I love the car but a couple of problems have not been resolved. The front parking sensor is activated during driving when the car has been parked overnight and it has rained. It appears to be caused by water ingress and Honda have not found the solution. The auto dipping system takes approximately 4 seconds to revert back to main beam after passing an oncoming vehicle. One dealer maintains in no uncertain terms that the issue is caused by my dash cam, although my wife's Jazz and my previous HRV had the same model dash cam fitted by Halfords. Still not resolved.

1.6 tourer

Quite simply the best car we’ve ever owned. I love the cockpit design and features and the beautiful leather seats. Fantastic to drive

1.6 i-dtec Sport Navi

The Honda Civic is an excellent car. No problems apart from right rear brakes had premature wearing, the inside pad had worn to the backing plate while the outside pad had 3+mm left. While changing I noticed the new pad (OEM ATE pads) didn't quite fit, so had to metal file the contact points and generously apply lubrication. Economy before the brake change was around 50-55mpg, after was 62mpg+. Other than that it's a great car and has never missed a beat.

1.6 diesel SE

Despite a traumatic and disgusting sales experience – Honda salesmen must have been trained by a 1980’s double glazing sales team – I can wholeheartedly endorse this car. The superb engine and gearbox has completed over 110k since new and, apart from an ECU reboot at 25k, has had no issues. The dealer did make some bizarre replacement tyre choices, though, with severe road noise and premature wear as a consequence. The fuel consumption has increased in the winter months, but has been over 70mpg otherwise, which is superb! Smart rear seating is a boon for occasional bulky carriage, too. Disappointments are that its steering is a little lifeless and remote and the suspension does not help to compensate. iPhone connectivity fails, and there's no update offered by the main dealer. I highly recommended one, providing Honda's sales team realise the hard sell is not necessary – the model stands on its own merits. Make the sales experience enjoyable, not a battle!

Sport plus 1.5 cvt

This car has a super-smooth 1.5 engine mated to an excellent CVT 'box. The performance it gives is a real surprise, it manages 0-60 in 7 seconds not the 8 plus quoted by Honda – I suspect after reading other reviews with similar results that Honda understate the performance of the 1.5 as it's truly a warm hatch and a lot cheaper than the Type-R. Plus points are level of standard kit including blind spot monitoring and high beam assist for the amazing LED headlights. Negatives are the high level of road noise from Michelin tyres, but the Honda Connect infotainment system is very easy to live with and frankly I can't understand while all the reviews slate it. The car constantly gets admiring looks anc certainly does seem a very complete package out in the real world. My average economy has been approx 35mpg but it's mainly used for short journeys. On a 50 mile motorway jaunt was it indicating 47mpg. I may have only had the car for just over one month but my initial thought is that I chose wisely.

1.6 D-TEC SE Plus T

No big issues with the car mechanically, drive is good, space excellent and it's very economical on long trips. However, be aware if buying that the "surface paint warranty" is only three years. I have patches of peeling paint appearing from nowhere which is quite disturbing. The dealership was very supportive, took details, measurements and photographs and sent off to Honda with full report to await decision on whether they will repair. The exact reply from Honda says "outside manufacturers paint surface warranty so we are unable to assist". I'm absolutely disgusted and angry that they have washed their hands of this despite earlier models being repaired and paint warranties extended because of the same problem. I called their customer service dept and was told they "look like they've been there a while" by a jumped up customer service team member which I promptly knocked back because they were definitely not showing on visual inspection video or report from last two visits for service and brakes, only two weeks earlier. Now its probably worth very little either as part exchange or to resell unless I repair the patches and pay myself. if I do that more than likely I will invalidate the "paint corrosion warranty" which I believe is 7 or 8 years. Two paint warranties? Research seems to indicate improper preparation of areas may be the cause. This issue may not affect anyone changing their car within the three year warranty period but is something I think potential buyers need to be aware of! My car has only ever been looked after by main dealer. Would I buy another Honda? NEVER! Not because things can't go wrong with any car, purely because of Honda's lack of caring. Power of Dreams??? More like a nightmare.

EX

This car was bought to replace my automatic Civic SE which was just over 4 years old]. After testing both 1.5 litre manual and CVT versions, which I thought were great, the salesman suggested trying the 1.0 litre to compare. The smaller engine is amazing - it pulls in the same way as my previous 1.8 auto. Even in 6th at 70, the acceleration is great. The car feels totally different from my previous Civic in every way - it is certainly comfortable and roomy, with a smart interior. With the smaller engine comes cheaper insurance and 40+ mpg around town with almost 60mpg on long journeys! It may not be the Type R, but with low seating and a great gearbox, it certainly feels sporty enough. This is my 6th Honda and the best so far. The final plus point is that my local Honda garage make owning a Honda a real pleasure although I have never had a problem with any of my cars,

1.6I DTEC SE PLUS (NAV)

I have owned many cars but this is the best of all. Comfortable, economical, a superb car. I am certainly a Honda convert, they make fantastic motors.

1.6I DTEC SE PLUS (NAV)

I have owned many cars over the years, but this is my first Honda. The car is brilliant, economical, comfortable, stylish. A pleasure to own. It has all the options that I need and more. A huge boot, so it's great for the dog, a really practical car. It's a real long distance tourer, with economy and comfort. Enough performance for most, if not try the Type R. There is no downside to this car in my opinion. I was originally looking for a Focus Titanium, but after driving the Civic, I was so impressed that I bought this instead.

1.0-litre SE

I bought my Civic with 8,000 miles on it. It looked great and this is probably what swayed my into its purchase. Having owned for a week or two it became apparent how poorly put together it really was. The interior materials are very cheap and flimsy. Constant trim rattles drove me crazy. Although the engine is impressive,and you would never guess it is such a small capacity unit, it is rough when pulling away. As I did not purchase my car from a Honda main dealer, to check it was running correctly I booked it in for health check. They told me all was well and loaned me another which was equally as rough. After 6 weeks of ownership I simply couldn’t put up with it any longer and traded it in for something with 4 cylinders. It’s super smooth.

No problems.

For a 1.0-litre car, amazing.

Very economical.

1.0 SR

This is my first Honda after owning many different Japanese, German & French cars & SUVs over the years. It has a very usable 1.0L engine which is quiet at Motorway speeds and has power in reserve for overtaking. The auto braking system has saved me from piling into the back of a car in front at a roundabout which I had (wrongly) assumed had cleared. Happy with build quality, fit and finish. In short I'm very pleased and enjoy driving again.

1.6 dtec

This is a fantastic car for the right owner. We chose a diesel for its economy and hopefully low depreciation. We informed our dealership at the point of sale that we expect to cover a very low annual mileage – there was no mention of potential DPF (diesel particulate filter) problems given, and no information given on ways to drive the car to ensure no short or long term problems. After 4000 miles and ten months we have noticed a number of power dips and surges, one of which resulted in my wife going into the car in front. We reported this to Honda dealership who have no concerns whatsoever and say we don't even have to change our driving habits and we wont have any problems. Reassuringly they say they haven't had to complete any forced regenerations or had to replace a DPF filter since the 1.6 DTEC was introduced. However any problems encountered with our DPF are not covered under the manufacturers warranty. Every dealership we have asked since would advise against buying a new diesel if you mostly make short trips and cover low annual miles. If I was making regular motorway journeys this car would be fantastic but its just not fit for purpose for our driving style and its like driving a ticking time bomb. We feel we should have been given full advice on the DPF when purchasing so we could make an informed decision, and once we decided to purchase a diesel we should have been provided with information on how we needed to drive to suit the car, e.g. regular trips at over 60 mph, for over 20 miles or over 30 minutes continuously, After a year we still don't know how we should be driving our 4500 miles Honda civic SR. Should we be having these worries after spending £20,000+?. Discussions are ongoing with our dealership but they can't see a problem. I would be interested to know if anybody else has experienced these problems.

after only 4000 miles a few engine blips, problems in future?

plenty of power when needed

on long journeys fantastic, economy fantastic but will driving this 1.6 dtec engine economically create short and long term filter problems