In-depth reviews

Lexus NX owner reviews

"The Lexus NX has unique looks and a desirable interior, but a firm ride, small boot and lack of engine choice may put off buyers"

F-Sport

My dream was to own a Lexus one day and finally the dream come true, but to be honest has turned into more of a nightmare. I did some research and decided I would like a NX F-Sport. I previously owned a Toyota C-HR, which is a lovely car and one I would recommend. The good points first. I love the shape of the car, extremely comfortable seats, heated leather seats and steering wheel, comfortable driving position. Plenty of legroom in back for passengers, and good size boot. Although the seats do not fold completely flat. Good all around cameras. The interior is lovely. Bad points. The sat nav system is terrible, fiddly to use, navigates strange routes and used to turn off and disappear. The car has been in twice to the dealership for this issue which seems to have sorted the turning off but not the strange routes. It is so bad I have purchased a device to put my phone in so I can use Google, so makes the sat nav pointless. I Bluetooth my music, but if I receive a phone call it turns the Bluetooth off rather than mutes it and after the call the car radio will come on. As I am driving I cannot then switch back to Bluetooth as it is just too complicated. Next, the auto dip does not work. I was advised it only works over 40mph, which makes it fiddly to use, need to press a button on one side and the flip the stick on the other into high beam once travelling over 40. Did this and ended up blinding cars coming the other way as it did not dip. To then dip manually means pressing the button again and flipping the stick to low beam. Not a quick manoeuvre. The dealership were insistent that it was operation error, implying we don’t know what we are doing. My husband an I both have an IT background. In fact when I checked the log for the sat nav software updates, it had not been updated for months, so despite having the car in all day, they did not bother to update the map. I contacted Lexus direct via email about these concerns, got an automated reply I acknowledge email, but have heard nothing since.

300H Premier

Having looked at the Range Rover Evoque & Discovery Sport as well as the new Peugeot 3008SUV, I decided on a used 9,000 mile Lexus NX300H Premier. Its build quality is excellent, being one for extra it absolutely fits the bill with nearly everything I could want incuding the superb stereo system. No,it is not the fastest car on the road , people complain about the CVT gearbox and the Navigation system being to complicated but it really is not a problem. You have to adapt your driving technique for Lexus hybrids and once you get familiar wth the controls it is absolutely fine. I was told I would get about 35mpg but I'm easily achieving nearly 42mpg and that's commuting nearly 50 miles per day. Comfort is the thing with this car, by far it is the most comfortable car I have ever owned, and I have had a few! Eye catching, bold, everyone I know is positive about the styling, and you do not see to many on the road, just as I like (so keep this to yourself). Thinking of buying one? Having owned a Ford Kuga Titanium, BMW X series M sport and Mercedes C 250D premium Plus in the last three years I would say yes, go on treat yourself, this one is for keeps. It out shines all the others by miles. Lexus staff and service have also been superb.
No problems
Not the fastest, but hey how quick can you go on UK roads these days
Better than you may be told providing you adapt your driving style for the Lexus Hybrid

Luxury 2.5 Hybrid

I'd been looking for a replacement for my Golf GTi for many months and had read every review going. However, that certainly didn't put me off as I was looking for something supremely comfortable, reliable, relatively rare, good looking and reasonably economical. Having had a long test drive, I found most of the reviews are misleading - not everyone wants something to fling round corners at speed. I've been there and done that, so the firmish ride in the NX was still much better than the Golf, which had Active Chassis Control as an option. I am absolutely delighted with this car as it does everything I need it to do and it is so much more relaxing than the usual German fare which have a firm ride, questionable reliability, average dealer service but similar servicing costs. The hybrid system is different, but as I had run a Peugeot diesel hybrid for a few months previously, it didn't faze me. The NX oozes quality and comfort, has plenty of space and a decent boot with enough toys to play with. The infotainment system seems, to me at least, pretty straightforward and this, along with some of the manual controls such as the wipers, are pretty similar to my wife's Mazda CX5 (which incidentally in Sport Nav trim has a much more jittery ride).

100% reliable - no issues, but that's expected from Lexus. No DPF to worry about thankfully.
This is not a performance car but it is perfectly suitable for the type of roads we have and the speed of driving within the UK limits. Boy racers need not apply
Quoted mpg will not be achieved but it's fun trying. Average mpg is between 35 & 45 mpg, depending on how good you are at using the hybrid system. Servicing costs not that much different to VW, Audi and Mercedes.

F Sport

Having owned several Mercedes I was fed up with recalls, so I had always liked the style of the NX but the waiting list was too long, then I found my current NX. It's the F Sport so has a great spec, it is fun to drive in sport mode, and in comfort keeping it sat at 70mph is hard - she wants to go. Trim and extras make it have a really good level of equipment, only thing I dislike is the radar cruise control. It's far too touchy to use and the sat nav can be fiddly on the move, otherwise a real head turner and to date not one single issue.

no issues at all
Goes like a train and is no slouch
Not cheap but not the worst to run

NX300h Luxury

I wanted a medium-sized luxury SUV, but not a diesel as most of my journeys are short distance. I don't like diesels anyway. Although other petrol models were in the frame, I was often put off by the interiors which had too much cheap plastic or poor quality seats. The Lexus NX has the best interior in its class and the seats are the most comfortable by far. The leather on the seats is very good quality. The driving position is great with everything to hand. There is plenty of power, despite some reviews saying it is under-powered. The hybrid engine is superb even in normal mode, but there is a sport option which makes it more responsive but it honestly is not needed unless you want to overtake more quickly. When in EV mode the car is very quiet. The ride is smooth, not as smooth as some other SUVs but smooth enough unless you go over large potholes - then it can get unsettled, but there is very little body roll when cornering so I think it all works rather well. The back doors open nice and wide so it is easy to get children in and out of child seats. The boot is a fair size - not a class leader, but bigger than some others I tried. The back seats fold down very easily, then you have a large flat area. There is also a spare wheel! Yes, a rarity these days, and very welcome. MPG for most short trips is low to mid 30s, but longer ones are high 30s. I am averaging roughly 35mpg, which is well down on the claimed figures, but still not bad for a car this size. In my opinion it looks superb, although some may not like the styling. This is my second Lexus, the first one of which I never had a fault with in five years, and I expect the same with the NX. My dealership is brilliant, too. My only gripe is there are some options I would have liked but they were not made available unless you bought the top of the range version. But overall this is a lovely car which I will keep for several years. I highly recommend it.

Lexus cars do not have a problem with reliability.

Plenty enough power for me, but it is not as fast as some away from the lights. But you don't buy a Lexus if you want to race Golf GTi's.
Claimed official figures are not achievable, but still not bad for a car this size. Better than a diesel on short journeys, not as good on longer journeys.

Premier

I've had the Lexus NX300 for nearly 2 years and have had no problems. It drives well and is reliable. It is comfortable on long journeys with plenty of room in the rear seats and boot. Disappointed it did not have a foot activated tailgate as per RHD modules. Everything works well, although I tend to disengage the auto high beam on country lanes. The ECO/electric drive takes over when driving in town but does not kick when reversing of the drive in the mornings. My only gripe is that only one of the reversing lights is fitted with a bulb although there are two lenses.

300h

Well finished, reliable, comfortable, better than some of its British rivals. M.p.g not bad considering car's weight.

No problems 7 months on.

Good all-rounder.

Cheap road tax, average fuel cost, low insurance.

300h Hybrid Premier

The NX is beautifully constructed and laden with equipment that the German brands offer as expensive extras. The heated (and coolly-ventilated) sumptuous leather seats are supremely comfortable. We use the car mainly as my daily commute/work vehicle and for long trips during holidays and weekends - the NX performs both with aplomb: with great comfort, with amazing serenity and with great refinement. Being a Lexus, everything works beautifully, and works every time. On the one occasion when the 12V battery misbehaved one morning, our local Lexus dealer was brilliant at sorting it out. Their service standards and customer care also put to shame that of our local Mercedes dealer [one of our previous cars was a Mercedes, and it was unreliable from day one; the impression we had of the local Mercedes garage was how they could make as much money from us as possible. By contrast our Lexus showroom wanted to make sure this one issue we had was completely sorted to our satisfaction and their high standards]. Would highly recommend the car and the brand.

300 Sport Hybrid

For - luxury interior Low C02 Against - MPG nowhere near claims. Poor handling. No torque for overtaking and then the car massively over revs. Bluetooth sounds like you are in a tin can. This was fixed on service but only temporary. Service standards are low compared to the brand expectations.

F sport

2019

This car is fabulous, in fact i have never driven anything quite like it, and cannot imagine any other car out there can beat the Lexus for comfort, technology, reliability, solid build, and just enjoyable driving, the best in its class without a doubt, and i have driven quite a few.

2.5 hybrid Luxury 5 dr

Comfortable, powerful, economical, relatively environmentally-friendly, flawlessly reliable. The car has a firm ride but quiet. Has a decent sat nav but the entertainment console is the weakest part of the package.

Flawless, literally no problems.
This car is engineered for refinement and comfort, not for beating an RS Fiesta off the starting grid. Over a long journey this is the most relaxing car I have driven, and that includes a BMW 5 series.

Actually pretty good for a medium to large SUV. No repair bills, for example.

NX300h Luxury

The NX300h is an edgy and striking piece of design which makes competitors like the Q5 and X5 (and the new Mercedes GLC, judging from pictures) look dull. But it was the interior that sold it – the driving position and the fascia design are outstanding, and the build quality is terrific. The main review says that the NX’s hybrid drivetrain feels underpowered, but the key word here is “feels”. Like most hybrids, the petrol engine revs don’t rise in a linear way with road speed. Occasionally under load the engine may sound loud, but most of the time it’s blissfully quiet, without the start-up and low speed clatter of diesels. And now, thanks to VW, we know more about the NOx and particulates associated with diesels, and the environmental benefits of petrol hybrids are much clearer. The NX does have a somewhat restless ride on rough surfaces, but the trade-off is surprisingly agile handling. It corners with very little roll for an SUV, and turns into corners well, with accurate, well-weighted steering. Fuel economy in the low forties is competitive for a near two-tonne car with a large frontal area, though if you drive it hard it’ll dip into the thirties. The Luxury grade probably offers the best value in the range, with powered, heated leather seats and smart entry/start, as well as 4WD. I found the rotary infotainment dial on the Luxury grade easier to use than the touchpad which is standard on higher grades. Overall I’m delighted with the NX and the Lexus ownership experience. The NX is a vastly better car than the CarBuyer rating of 2.9 might suggest, and I recommend it warmly to anyone looking at mid-size crossovers.