Mazda2 owner reviews

“The Mazda2 is a supermini with neat styling, tidy handling and low running costs”

• Engine (1 cases)
  • Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Suspension (2 cases)

SE L Nav (D)

This is a great little car, even though I’m putting in quite a lot of miles, the car seems to be coping fine in the 5 months I’ve owned it so far. Fuel economy is great – I can’t achieve what Mazda say the 1.5D can do (83 combined), but I can’t complain when it gets 60-70mpg at motorway speeds. The infotainment system is the best in any car I’ve owned, it's easy to use and understand. The only small annoyance is the number of clicks it takes to start a navigation route (click on destination, click navigate, click start) rather than it being you select a destination and the route comes into your map when it loads without having to confirm it. There's a very good sound system, bass seems to be very punchy and powerful on a car with no subwoofer, and sound seems evenly spread. Sometimes I wouldn’t mind a little more engine power, but knocking it down a gear and putting your foot down a bit seems to be a way around the solution albeit sacrificing fuel economy. It has a comfy driving position with a good range of adjustment in the steering wheel and seat, and lots of foot space for the front passenger. Back seats are a different story though, as the leg room is a little small for a normal sized person, and the rear doors are also very short, so getting out between the front seat headrest and back seat chair is usually a squeeze. I don’t think having five people in the car would be very good for a long period of time. In the first month of owning it I did have a small problem with responsiveness after gear changes, but that was fixed by Mazda under the warranty by changing the injectors, but that is all the troubles I’ve had with it.

1.5 90 Sport Nav

Lovely car with a very smooth drive and fantastic gearbox. It's been faultless in the 5 months that I have had it and is a pleasure to drive. The speed limiter and cruise control are both excellent, combined with the sat nav means you are seldom going to get caught out accidentally speeding. I went for the Sport Nav as the interior is far superior than the lower models, worth every extra penny.

Faultless to date

Plenty fast enough and nippier than I expected after reading other reviews.

Low tax and about 45 miles to the gallon

sport nav

Excellent car with a high specification loads of extras, premium much bigger car feel, I totally love it. It surprises people with how fast it takes off from a standing start and its excellent on long journeys. The interior is very similar to that of the BMW with the chrome controls for the infotainment system between the seats. The hands free phone system is fantastic, it even reads your emails. Plus you can press a switch on the steering wheel and tell the car what you want such as, call dad, go to radio station and even to sat navy and then tell it location. And it works very well with all voices and accents.

1.5 L 114 bhp

When I bought the car brand new, I was expecting it to be a great car having owned many brands before. For the first time, I bought a non European model and a Japanese one instead. Unfortunately, I was wrong to be excited for many reasons. First week I bought the car, I heard many cracking sounds inside the cabin and the dealer was about to tell me it was normal until they fixed it. Don’t get me wrong, drive was nice, handled well and looked nice enough. But changing the front axle at just 7000km, that was a first and a sign of reliability issues with this model. Also, the sound inside the cabin wasn’t great especially a compared to my previous Peugeot 208 1.2 82bhp. When I installed led fog lights from the dealer for 1 week, they handed me the car with a defective turn signal; so I had to wait another 30 minutes to change it again. Just last week, I asked to change the front wipers and they changed the rear wiper as well without my approval and charging it on me. Lastly, this week, I called (well they called since they never answer, they only call back when you PM them) to ask how much will cost a battery replacement; they replied £100 and advised me to buy it from the market since it’s cheaper and the same! Last time I changed a battery for my car, I did it for free since it was under warranty. In brief, I am getting the new Peugeot 208 again.

1.5 114hp Saloon

The Mazda 2 is a good car overall. But not without compromises. The first being interior space. Most of its competitors in the segment are significantly better in interior space. The Mazda 2 is a driver centric car, meaning everything is designed to compliment the driver. Foregoing passenger comfort. The power provided by the 114hp tune is adequate for most purposes. Pulls pretty well despite being naturally aspirated. The closest thing to the MX5 I dare say. It requires minimum RON 95. RON 97 gave better peak performance but less mileage in return. The 6 speed autobox is not the smoothest. But it has a very wide lock up ratio, giving one the almost similar sense of driving a manual. Fuel economy may vary according to driving pattern. I average a decent 57MPG on pure motorway under 100km/h. Pure city driving averages around 20 to 25 MPG in notorious KL traffic. The handling is something to die for. Second only to the Ford Fiesta. Chassis is stiff and very assuring. Very easy to unsettle the car voluntarily(if you know what I mean), with the finely tuned stability control as a safety net. Switching to performance tire (Toyo Proxes TR1) makes it even better. Ride comfort is just ok due to the stiffer suspension. Built quality is pretty good. Materials are ok. But definitely far better than most rivals. The leather is nice and subtle. I had issues with a squeaking steering rack. But it was rectified under warranty. They also found my engine and transmission mounting to be defective. But again rectified with a more recent design under warranty. No mobility issues whatsoever, engine and transmission still running great after 2 years.
No mobility issues. Engine and transmission still runs great after 2 years. But had a defective steering rack and engine mounting replaced under warranty.

Good performance for a naturally aspirated. Transmission is sporty and engaging. Ride and handling is impeccable.
Avg 28 to 56 MPG. Service and parts is actually rather costly since parts are mostly from Japan.

1.5 Skyactiv-G

I have owned the Mazda2 since February 2018 and I've already done 12,000 miles (19,000 km) on it. I've loved my car since the first day I drove it: the steering is so gentle and responsive, the clutch is way lighter than anything I was used to before (this is a big plus when it comes to city driving) and the gearshift is sharp. I really appreciate the spot-on driving position as well. Fuel consumption is very good, my average is around 45mpg (16km/l) in urban conditions and 55-60mpg at higher speeds. There are some downgrades though, e.g. lack of cubby spaces both for front and rear passengers and the stock brake pads are low quality ones. I reckon you should seriously consider this Mazda while seeking for a good all-round supermini.

I was satisfied by the other Mazdas I owned, and I've not had a problem with this Mazda2 yet.
Pretty good for a car that small.
Low fuel consumption but pricey 10,000 mile service.

GT Sport Nav+ (115) 2018 6-speed manual

I highly recommend the top spec Mazda2 GT Sport Nav+ (115ps). The engine is punchy and well-placed, along with higher revs, you really feel the power. The quality of the leather and suede interior is superb, and the heated seats are a dream. Onboard kit is generous and the extras you get are well worth it. The car corners perfectly and really grips the road with its 16-inch wheels. Fuel economy is good and the onboard infotainment and navigation is faultless. The Mica paint is beautiful and every passenger has commented on how lovely and comfortable the car is! Only bugbear is the boot space isn’t as generous as some but is more than adequate for day-to-day use.

Very reliable

Great performance for the 115ps 1.5 aspirated engine. No turbo means no high risk. It delivers a punchy performance in comfort!

Not expensive

1.5 SE 75bhp

This is a great little car. Handles well and feels mature for a compact hatch. The ride is smooth with the 15 inch wheels and greater tyre size compared to 16 inch wheels. The car is peppy in town and good at motorway speed. My only complaint in the obvious and undeniable lack of power from the 75ps version on twisty country roads where is is difficult and energy sapping to keep the revs up high, where most of the torque is from this unit. Love the car but wish I went for 90ps. My wife has last version of the mazda 2 and this generation is better, power aside. I can't help wondering why Mazda didn't simply start the entry model with the 90ps. I know the higher compression ratio means a more expensive exhaust system and more tech but 75ps is just a bit light on power these days, particularly as the car is fist class in every other respect. I see the SE+ model has been slightly revised offering a better too speed and 0-60mph time with the 75ps unit. Buy the 90bhp!

As with the last model, no issues!
75ps poorer on low to mid range torque, but revs freely and better at high revs and is smooth.

My dad has the same car on a 17 plate and pays £20 road tax. I pay £140. However, this is not Mazda's fault. The nog is very good at 51.

1.5 petrol auto

Excellent car - comfy, economical, reliable, quality build and great handling - it's like a much more expensive car and feels like a bigger car. I love it.

1.5 sport

Love my Mazda. Went to buy a Diesel model, they didn't have one in stock, so took out the petrol model and was hooked, immediately.

GT Sport Nav +

2019

I have owned this car nearly 12 months and I'm more than pleased with it. It replaces a sport launch model of the same car so I like my Mazda 2s!

1.3

2012

I purchased this low mileage (45,800) 6 year old car a few months ago and my first 1500 miles in it have been great. The quiet 1350cc non turbocharged 4 cylinder petrol engine gives brisk acceleration and good economy while the car handles beautifully. Locally I get a shade under 40 mpg while on longer runs it's closer to 45. The low profile tyres make running over less than perfect road surfaces rather harsh but other than that I have no complaints whatsoever. Really pleased with the Mazda, it does all I want from a car and it doesn't cost a fortune to run (road tax is £30 p.a.) with a relatively low insurance band. Recommended.

No problems as yet.

Could be a little quicker from a standing start otherwise the car is nippy and agile.

None so far other than fuel

1.5 SE

Brilliant small hatch. This is our second Mazda 2 as we had totally trouble free motoring with the previous model. Great handling, good looks, comfortable, practical, whats not to like? Can't understand the remarks regarding the performance of the 75 bhp model. It is more than adequate for todays roads and doesn't ever feel underpowered

1.5 Sport Launch Edition

56.4
Excellent car. Fun to drive, brilliant fuel economy, quiet, smooth ride, handles like a dream and feels like a premium car without the premium cost. Offside rear suspension leak at 4 months and 8k miles, fixed under warranty without a murmur by the dealership. Sat-nav is fine, can't get the in-car entertainment to run podcasts which is my long run entertainment of choice, but that's a small niggle and I can run them on my iPhone. Seats amazingly comfortable. Beautiful car. I love it.

sport nav

Very comfortable. Love the auto lights and wipers. MPG good too. Disappointed with the gear ratios. In comparison with other cars I have driven, the Mazda 2 seems to struggle in third going up even the gentlest of hills. You need to hit second for the oomph. The air conditioning refused to work come the first heat wave of the year; a known fault with which many owners have a problem. Unfortunately the part is on a slow boat from Japan, so six weeks and waiting so far.

115 Sport Nav

Looks are subjective but for me the 2 looks great with Mazda's Kodo design, the exterior is very sharp. The interior is well designed and thought out and in Sport Nav trim has plenty of toys and creature comforts. The Mazda 'infotainment' is brilliant, best I have ever had in any car. The 2 isn't a hot hatch yet you can tell Mazda has designed this car to be a sporty and fun drive. It has a great chassis and very well judged suspension tuning, steering is light and accurate which gives the car great balance through the corners. The ride it is very comfortable overall, the seats are great and surprisingly the car is just as happy on a long motorway journey as it is around town. The 2 is a B Segment car and yet its refinement is very close to some C Segment cars which given the weight of the 2 is slightly under/over 1000kgs you would expect less refinement, there is some wind noise/tire noise but not enough to be distracting. The car is great on fuel too, sitting at motorway speeds I can match with ease the official 56mpg motorway figures, around town too i find again its easy to match and best the official figures. As the 2 is very light in this spec it is pleasingly eager and has decent performance. The engine is the same revvy 1.5 engine in the mx5 and has a great 6 speed gearbox. It makes a great little growl yet when around town/at motorway speeds you can barely hear the engine which has no trouble accelerating from low revs to match surrounding traffic speeds. Overall I am very happy to have bought a fantastic, comfortable, well equipped and fun to drive sporty little family car that is the Mazda 2.