Mitsubishi L200 pickup (2015-2019): owner reviews

"The fifth-generation Mitsubishi L200 is the best yet – good enough to demand a place on any pickup buyer’s shortlist"

• Engine (3 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)

barbarian

I bought the Barbarian as an ex-demo with approx 3,000 miles and paid over £27.000 for it The reason I bought it is that it was advertised with a 12 year warranty against rust. As I have a ramp at home I had a look underneath and was shocked as there is more rust on the chassis than paint. When I complained to the Mitsubishi garage they told me It was natural corrosion not rust and will not do anything about it. I have been in touch with the local trading standards and they could not help me.

Challenger

I have been using an 2015 L200 as a company vehicle for the last three years. As a company we have (soon to be had) 3 of the same age. They have had problem after problem. Mine has been in 5 times for warranty work, mainly due to EGR valve issues, including pumping exhaust fumes into the cab. Another colleague has had his in for the same work even more times, and had the head replaced on the engine. The last truck has also been in twice (to my knowledge). We have also had issues with dpf filters blocking up, the dealer said it was due to over-filling the oil, however each time the oil was within the level on the dipstick. At no point have we been offered a hire vehicle whilst these repairs have been done, it has cost the company a lot of money hiring vans ourselves to cover the down time. The Challenger spec body work feels cheap, it sounds like an old panel van when you close the doors and they dent very easily. I have looked at higher spec models and they seem better. The positives is, it has been good off road and with careful driving you can get the fuel consumption up to about 35mpg, on average its 30. We are selling ours and replacing them with a competitors model.
It has been awful for reliability. We may have been unlucky with ours, but I wont be going back to a Mitsubishi again.

32.9
The most recent problem I've had with my L200 is that a D.P.F fault. The vehicle went into limp mode just as I was joining the motorway, not a pleasant experience. The side steps have now fallen to bits and been replaced after 6 weeks waiting for parts. The rear tailgate catches have fallen to bits as well, and have been replaced, and the chattering tailgate means the pathetic Mitsubishi paint has worn off where it touches the hard top. Other faults have included door locks replaced under warranty as part of a Mitsubishi recall. Now the vehicle is jumping out of third gear (apparently a common fault). The steering wheel material is falling apart – I always drive with clean hands. This vehicle cannot be described as a serious workhorse – it's totally gutless at low revs. Perhaps this is why the manual gearbox option has been withdrawn. The engine delivers its power and torque at the top of the rev range; I was told by the garage it is basically a car engine. This vehicle has obviously been ruined by the bean counters at Mitsubishi. Having driven several Mitsubishis this will certainly be the Last.

Very poor

No low-down torque, and the engine has high oil consumption at 66K

Fuel consumption nothing like Mitsubishi's claims

What a disgrace, if ever there was a case for miss selling a car this is it! I bought mine thinking it would pay for itself, my 54 plate Navara was returning 350 miles per tank full. Mitsubishi and and Vanarama were quoting 700! ok I am a realist, didnt think I'd get anywhere near 700, but maybe 500, 450 plus at least as I tow and carry tools. Oh how wrong I am, I get 350 miles per tank regularly. People tell me I must drive like an idiot, but I've coaxed 49,000 miles out of the original tyres! So now its back at Mitsubishi with a DPF fault again! The steering wheel is also well worn, and the sat nav is a pain to use.

2.4 Barbarian Series 5

After reading some of the reviews I've have decided to write my own out of frustration. I've owned a series 3 for seven years then a series 4 for five years and now a series 5 for the last two years, they are a pleasure to own and i cannot say good enough about them all. It does have little faults like all the rest but reliability is not one of them – the first series 3 and 4 had a lot of brake calliper problems were the piston seal would fail, I got mine reconditioned on both of them, but the series 5 have corrected this problem. Yes the steering wheel does wear but this is caused by diesel on ur hand which will destroy all leather any type, I just put a cover on mine and problem solved. The leather seats can wear also if not looked after correctly, you should use a leather conditioner to keep them soft. I do mine twice a year in about 10 mins and never had any cracks or bad wear when trading in. I've never had any engine/clutch or gearbox problems with any of mine and i've run up over 200,000 miles on the last two, I'm a farmer so I work mine hard. With the sheer number of these that are sold worldwide, there will always be owners that will have trouble whether its bad luck or bad owners – and trust me there'll a lot of the lather. My father has a 2009 Hilux and its also a great pickup but it will be fare more prone to rust and harder on fuel, ask any inspector in your local test centre on their verdict and I think you'll see what I mean. When it comes to service costs, if you change your oil and filter every 9,000 and drain out the fuel filter, blow out the air filter and you're good to go for £150, or 50 if you do it yourself. It's very easily done. just use genuine filters while under warranty.

Warrior Auto with Truckman canopy

This is a new company lease vehicle, I test drove the auto versions and manual versions of this, the Navara, Hilux and Dmax and thought this one drove and handled the best, but I guess its all down to the individual. Its comfortable and has all the toys needed for work and play, I do around 80% on the road and 20% on site including landfill sites and its a breeze getting around and not breaking into a sweat on all the terrain I throw at it. Lucky for me I don't foot the fuel bill, please bear in mind I had only done 1150 miles on three full tanks of fuel at between £72 and £75 a go, a mix of motorway and around town - that's not 400 miles per tank. I'm really not sure where the manufacturer got their figures from but if this has one drawback I would say its fuel consumption. I would be interested to know if I have a heavy foot or its typical for this truck and other owners, yes I appreciate it has an auto box in it. Apart from the fuel consumption I love it.

Still pretty new so I can't comment

It drives better than some cars

Just the fuel consumption.

L 200

We were on our fourth L200 as we found them very reliable and a good workhorse for building works, however the head gasket went on the latest one with 80,000 miles on the clock and it was out of warranty. Mitsubishi wouldn't do anything for us even though had been customers of theirs for many years having bought nine new vehicles off them. We won't be buying Mitsubishi again.

Warrior

No faulting this truck at all.

No issues at all.

First gear is a bit low, but other than that it effortlessly flies.

Considering the size, weight and aerodynamics, it's really good.

Barbarian

It's quiet, powerful through all the gears and has a lovely ride compared with other trucks I've owned. It seems that other reviewers either love it, or hate it, with no middle ground. I've owned it now for 7 mths and I think it's a quality bit of kit. For me it's both a work tool, and a family car, so I need it to be comfortable and fairly refined, but practical and hard wearing as well, and it does all of these really well. I'm self employed, so the car being off the road isn't an option. 11,000 Miles in, and it's never let me down. It's so easy to drive, the steering is responsive and feels good. I love the gear change, and the engine is lovely and quiet, unless you thrash the arse off it. The displays are clear and easy to read, and the DAB is great. Some people on here have commented on the headlights being poor. Again you either love it or hate it, but the lights on my car are quite the opposite, they are so bright you very rarely need full beam. The only down side for me is the poor quality of the floor mats. It's still a commercial vehicle so these need to be up for the job, and sadly they are really thin. I've worn a hole through the drivers mat in 6000 miles which isn't good enough really. The mats are there to protect the carpets, which look like they are hard wearing, so why aren't the mats. Minor gripe really I suppose.

So far so good.
Pulls strongly through all gears with no turbo lag.
It's a really frugal truck, I get roughly 600 miles to the tank.

Barbarian

I have owned my L200 now for 11 months, and overall I am delighted with it. I previously had a 2013 Barbarian, which I liked very much, which was why I bought the new model. In my opinion this is a vast improvement on the old model, which was a good truck. The old one would pass everything except a petrol station. My new truck is good on fuel, very good considering it's size and weight and I will usually get between 575 and 625 miles per tank, depending on how you drive it. Put your foot down and it really shifts quite well. In 6th gear on the motorway there is plenty of power there when you need it, in fact it's a fantastic cruiser at higher speeds. It's stable both with and without a load, and extremely comfortable. The ride is not like a car, however after a few months of owning it, the springs settle down and it's a really good ride. It's my daily office, and a great place to be. I love the leather seats, very supportive and heat up nicely in the winter. The display is clear and concise, and the sat nav, easy to navigate once you get use to it. Great truck.

2.5 diesel

2007

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi L200 Animal Di-D D/C. The mileage is 105,435, which is pretty low for the age. I've got to say I love it, though I have only had it for a few months. The car drives great. The only thing I would say it could do with is a sixth gear, as I use this on the Edinburgh bypass every day and the engine can be a little noisy at some speeds but I can live with that. My kids love it for the height and space. I have looked at the other reviews and most have bought them new or a few years old and had problems. I would not buy any car new due to potential teething problems. I would stick to the second-hand cars with reasonable mileage as then the car is well ran in and had parts replaced previously. I've had cars with low miles before and had nothing but problems with them. Take note just because they're a new car doesn't mean there's a guarantee of no problems! Five stars for the Mitsubishi L200, easy.

great no problems but not had it long .will post if any problems.

very good for what it is :-)

not bad :-)

double cab warrior auto

The fuel consumption is poor even on when on long trips. The headlights flicker on uneven road surfaces, but I'm told they are within spec by the dealer. The paint finish is poor and the rear doors do not fit correctly – again, I was told they're within spec. I've had problems with the factory-fitted tow bar electrics and had a hell of a job to persuade Mitsubishi to replace the wiring loom. I was told I should stop and dry the electrics out when there was a fault – not much use when I'm on a motorway. I have had several new vehicles over the last few years, Mitsubishi has offered by far the worst service i've had. I would not buy another.

Series 5 warrior

I was really pleased with this at first. It's comfortable, powerful, great to drive and gives excellent fuel economy, especially as a lot of my driving is round country lanes. However, first the steering wheel and gear knob cover started to wear, then the clutch slipped a couple of times, the fan belt started slipping and the electrics started playing up. The gears started crunching too. All of these are known common faults which the dealers have repaired after 18 months of messing around. Also, the clutch has now worn after 62,000m although the dealer tells me a lot go much sooner. Since the clutch is considered as wear and tear the dealers won't fix under warranty even though the clutch is an obvious flaw. In summary, great car but spoiled by niggles and poor dealers.

Lots of niggles
Services expensive

Barbarian

Good pick up in most respects, I use it lots for towing both long and short distances . It's comfortable and has good fuel economy. Now at 81,000 miles the DPF filter and engine management light have come on 3 times in 10 days.The dealer undertook a forced regen on the engine to clear each time, has asked if I do lots of short journeys or leave it idling a lot, to which the answer is no. He advised me that it's probably leaking injectors needing to be replaced. There's no way to test other than remove and sending it back to Mitsubishi ( 5 days off road) but there are no guarantees. If faulty it's a whopping £4-5000 to replace, or it could be the actual DPF unit only £1500 or so to change. So much for an engine good for 250000 miles. Otherwise a great vehicle

Series 5

Extremely bad lights , worst on any car I ever had. And they shake excessively while driving. Tyres worn off it from bad tracking. Service is brutal . Doesn't do near the claimed mpg.

Barbarian

Picked it up nearly three weeks ago brand new, we have had 7 L200s before this one and always rated them highly. We do approx 20,000 miles per year, the 15-plate series 4 Barbarian we had before was very good on fuel and we often achieved in excess of 37mpg and 40 on long trips. We never liked the shape of the series 4 that we replaced our 54 plate animal with, and found the DAB radio awful. This series 5 is much quieter and more comfortable compared to the series 4 and the radio is excellent, this is much more powerful and pulls better through the gears with no dead spot anymore. Overall the truck is a great improvement - we like the shape and with the addition of the sixth gear 70mph is comfortable.

Barbarian

I love this truck. It's beautiful both inside and out. It’s quick for a beast of this size. We run a property maintenance company and it has been very useful both on and off road. It’s great for towing the caravan too. And most importantly, it has NEVER let me down.

It’s been absolutely perfect
I fell in love with this truck when I took it for a test drive. I have owned a Toyota Hilux and a couple of Shoguns before. This truck was a revelation. It feels just a like a car. Acceleration is impressive.
All pickups are expensive to run, especially if they are automatic. I do quite a few short journeys but I still get around 350 miles to a tank.

Series 5 Barbarian

This is my Second Series 5, the last one had a manual gearbox and this one is an auto. I genuinely love these trucks, and I have seen nothing but excellent reliability from mine. They have hard wearing interiors, comfortable seats, and plenty of toys to keep you entertained. The control interface in the latest (2018+) cars is a huge improvement on my earlier 2016 model, and the auto box in my current model is a real dream, and in my opinion a huge upgrade from the 6 speed manual, which has a really low geared 1st gear. Please don’t be put off by negative comments on this vehicle, because it is a really good truck. My experience with review sites Is that people only really make an effort to leave a review when they are either really upset with a product, or over the top love it. So be assured that the majority who buy are happy, but can’t be bothered. I only posted because I saw all he negatives and thought how unfair it was.

Fantastic reliability
Excellent motorway cruiser.

42 mpg between urban and motorway. Speaks for itself.

Barbarian

Underpowered, with a cheap plastic interior, and mine needed new gearbox after 300 miles. There are much much better commercial pick ups on the market.

2.4 titan

I bought this vehicle from the main dealer with 400 miles on the clock, it was a year old believe it or not but never really used. The good bits are a fuel consumption in the mid thirties, is comfortable and drives well. Bad points are quality related. The steering wheel leather wore off at 8000 miles, the plastic trim easily scratches even when you put the seat belt on, when the buckle catches the plastic it just scratches, now with 15000 mile on the clock the driver's seat is now wearing as you get in the vehicle. Basically the quality of the materials they use on the vehicle is appalling, the paint finish is not great either. My friend has got a Ford Ranger and my other friend has a new Nissan Navaro which in my eyes are far superior in the materials they use in the vehicle, not necessarily on the quality of the ride and handling. Saw a 66 plate L200 with 36000 miles on the clock and the drivers seat had worn through to hole as you get in the vehicle

series 5

This is Number 11 L200 i have owned and what a pile of rubbish. The handbrake took ten months to repair, the fuel consumption is the worst I have ever known. The headlights are poor and main beam is useless. Dash board information is very poor. The sat nav is hard to use and as is hands free phone. The engine seems to lack any power what so ever compared to my 2012 Barbarian. They state that the truck will do over 700 miles on one tank of fuel this is not true I have never got more than 350 miles and that was driving it like a nun. The leather interior is of very poor quality and workman ship considering its the top of the range. I would just like my money back. The truck cost me £ 28394.00 + vat almost a year ago with extras and with less than 5000 miles on it to buy it back now they have offered me £18500.00 + vat.

Barbarian

Hellishly expensive to run (9000 mile service intervals, 3 @ £200 and every 4th service £600+), fuel economy dire - down to 20-22mpg - dash panel reads 30-35mpg! (mitsi can't find the fault), smoking on tick over (told it was DPF regeneration!) we now have the sister truck to this doing the same mpg on 46000 miles (mitsi - "keep driving and see if it clears"!). I would give the new mitsi l200's 0 stars if i could. I have 4 earlier L200's (2010 - 2012) with NO PROBLEMS on 200,000+ miles