Auto Express Car of the Year 2014
The prestigious Auto Express Car of the Year award winners have been revealed
The Auto Express New Car Awards 2014 took place this evening, with the brilliant new MINI awarded the coveted Car of the Year crown.
It was a close-run battle, but the top award was agreed by our sister site’s extensive panel of judges – including editor-in-chief, Steve Fowler, and a team of experienced road testers.
Elsewhere, Best City Car was awarded to the Skoda Citigo, with Carbuyer’s Car of the Year, the Hyundai i10 getting a highly regarded commendation. Best Supermini was once again granted to the Ford Fiesta, while the Best Premium Small Car was handed to the prized MINI Cooper.
Last year’s Car of the Year, the SEAT Leon, was given the Best Compact Family Car title this time around, with special mention given to the Mazda3 Fastback and Volkwagen Golf. Best Family Car went to the Mazda6, while the Best Crossover gong was awarded to the brilliant Nissan Qashqai.
The Auto Express Best Estate Car went to the SEAT Leon ST, with the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso scooping Best MPV. The Porsche Macan and Hyundai Santa Fe won Best Compact SUV and Best Large SUV respectively, while the Volkswagen Amarok took home the Best Pick-Up award.
Last year, the BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series took both executive car gongs, but the Audi A6 Ultra has knocked the latter off the top spot for Best Large Executive Car this year. Best Luxury Car went to the Mercedes S-Class, with the Audi A3 stealing the award for Best Convertible.
In the sports car categories, the Jaguar F-Type R won Best Coupe, the Porsche Boxster won Best Roadster and the new McLaren 650S took top spot in Performance Car of the Year.
All the winners, plus 2014 Van of the Year, are listed below, with more information and pictures available on www.autoexpress.co.uk.
- Car of the Year: MINI
- Best City Car: Skoda Citigo
- Best Supermini: Ford Fiesta
- Best Premium Small Car: MINI Cooper
- Best Compact Family Car: SEAT Leon
- Best Crossover: Nissan Qashqai
- Best Family Car: Mazda6
- Best Estate Car: SEAT Leon ST
- Best Compact Executive Car: BMW 3 Series
- Best Executive Car: Audi A6 Ultra
- Best Luxury Car: Mercedes S-Class
- Best Hot Hatchback: SEAT Leon Cupra SC 280
- Best Convertible: Audi A3 Cabriolet
- Best MPV: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso
- Best Compact SUV: Porsche Macan
- Best Large SUV: Hyundai Santa Fe
- Best Coupe: Jaguar F-Type R
- Best Roadster: Porsche Boxster
- Best Pick-Up: Volkswagen Amarok
- Performance Car of the Year: McLaren 650S
- Safety Award: Nissan Safety Shield
- Hall of Fame: Stephen Odell (Chief Executive of Ford Europe)
- Green Award: BMW i3
- Design Award: Volvo
- Special Award: Tesla
- Best Advertising Campaign: Mercedes Magic Body Control
- Van of the Year: Ford Transit
10 smallest cars on sale 2024
The UK's top 10 best-selling cars 2024
New petrol-powered MINI Cooper to join its electric twin in 2024
Hot car deal: quirky Nissan Juke hybrid for £172 a month
Best new car deals 2024: this week’s top car offers
New Mercedes CLE Cabriolet released, costing from £53k